CH13 - Sorrows

November 2012

*Hajime* Japan

The ravenette man climbed out his room's window and latched onto the frames. His brawny arms reached for the roofline cautiously then used the drainpipe to support his weight.

Once above, he inhaled in the evening winter air, and a small puff of smoke floated as he exhaled. He let his legs dangle over the roof edges, his olive-green eyes taking in the nocturnal landscape.

The wide open space offered a panoramic view of the city quite disparate from the constraints of his room. In the zero hour, only the distant sound of the train echoed in the dead of the night.

Above him was the luminous moon suspended in the velvety blank sky. Though the night was starless it was made bright by a myriad of streetlights, creating a mélange of silhouettes. Its lunar radiance made the phantom shadows seemingly dance as wisps of clouds drift across the celestial orb as if in silvery embrace.

It was a beautiful sight that one might wish to last forever, but not the man who felt so blue. He craved for the light, the warmth. Her smile that always seemingly light up a room.

Peaceful as the night seemed, his mind was in chaos.

He stared at his phone with an aching heart, and wondered how his best friend was coping up with the sudden loss of a family member. He felt frustrated at his helplessness and wished he could provide some form of comfort for her.

The man closed his eyes and prayed hard to any god who could answer his wishes. He wished for her healing and hoped he could somehow help alleviate her sorrow.

*Oikawa* Japan

The midnight chime masked the jingle of keys being turned in a lock motion. Once it clicked in place, the chocolate-eyed lad wiggled the gate lightly to ensure it was locked before walking away.

With no destination in mind, he let his feet take the lead, head down, lost in thoughts. The sound of the city disappearing with every step.

He must have gone past the outskirts of town as his shoes were slowly dirtied by the unpaved road. He lifted his head to take in his unfamiliar surroundings.

It was devoid of people and fairly far away from the usual urban living he was accustomed to.

The only sound was that of a stream, plump koi's swimming about. He followed the inflow of the water as it eventually lead him up a quiet valley. Trees around him stood tall like wise keepers of the night, keeping a watchful eye, and giving a sense of inconsequential to beings smaller than its own.

Across him was a serene lake, its crystal clear reflection seamlessly blended with the sky as if the lone man was suddenly teleported in a sphere of surreal dreamscape, blurring reality from fantasy.

The majestic moon towered over it all, like an esteemed warden of the night. Its delicate silver sheen mirrored flawlessly upon the still water, ready to pass its judgement to those whose reflection lie.

In the stillness of the night, the wind whispered a lullaby. Its tender touch tickled the leaves off its branches as they floated about and danced to the nature's melodic symphony.

His heart ached as it longed for the same serene ambience until his eyes locked on a lone leaf as it swirled in front of him. Its descent slow and painfully beautiful, like a ballerina pirouetting to its final bow. A scene reminding him of a certain someone.

The leaf, as if reaching its finale connected with the lake in a warm embrace, sending a mesmerizing ripple effect on the once tranquil lake.

How could something insignificant be formidable that it could disrupt the peace?

The man let out a bitter chuckle. He knew the feeling all too well as his worries returned like incessant waves. The burden of his own struggles that always weighted heavy on his shoulders receded momentarily as his heart bled for concern on his best friend battling the anguish of losing a loved one.

Although he had his own demons to battle, he knew, hers demanded the forefront. If only he could take upon her burdens for himself.

He let out a sad smile. The distorted reflection on the lake now more alike to his turmoiled thoughts, all hazy and indistinct.

*Celeste* Australia

The sky cloaked in grey clouds wept as the world lay in slumber, drenching the streets in sorrow. Each droplet like a tear, creating a pitter-patter beat unto the roof like a symphony of requiem for the departed.

As if on que for its glorious climax, the heavens above let out a murmur as it eventually gave way to a roaring thunder.

The girl only blinked at the ear-piercing noise as she laid still on the cold balcony floor. The tears in her eyes intertwined with the raindrops not knowing where it began or where it ended. Its pool of sadness clasped unto her skin, and she wished it could wash away her grief for her birth mother's passing.

The heavens must have pitied her as it rained harder in a mournful cadence. Making the air denser with the scent of anguish and hung to her like a heavy cloak drenched in water.

She wanted nothing more than to take refuge under the warm sanctuary of her best friends presence.

This sudden thought struck her and snapped her heartstrings. Remorse coursed through her veins sharply like a whip lashing accusingly in punishment for neglecting an unspoken promise of mutual support.

Her best friends were also weathering through a tumultuous ocean and yet they have willingly lent their hands for her to hold as the shadows of misery threatened to pull her deeper into the depths of the sea.

But their gesture of comfort went unanswered as their calls and messages were ignored. She thought she was doing the right thing by choosing to fight her own demons. Forgetting the very essence of friendship that no matter the tempest, they should be there for each other to share the burden.

She stared absently at the majestic moon above. A sentinel of darkness, reigning supreme and gleaming beautifully unlike the emotion-laden atmosphere the crying clouds were conveying.

To her, the night sky was nothing but a mere dome, imprisoning her in darkness. Neither the blanket of stars nor the bright full moon was enough to lighten her darkened world.

For she knew that every time the night came it proved the passage of time. Never relenting, never stopping. Even as as she hang delicately in the balance between self-preservation and fulfilling her role as a true friend.

~~~

Though the three friends lived in disparate spaces, they found themselves bound by an invisible thread. A profound connection that transcends the vast expanse that lay between them, making the physical distance a mere illusion.

And in the midst of their own personal struggles exists compassion far beyond they have for their own. An admirable testament to their loyalty and genuine friendship.

Deep within their hearts, they knew, for as long as the other exists, no matter the constraints of geography. They will find solace.