CH9 - Rule The Court

October 2012

3rd POV

Each day passed as eventful as the previous and was always full of banters and pranks. Celeste even managed to fit in with the rest of the volleyball team as their new manager.

She has also grown on Hanamaki and Matsukawa and treated her like a little sister. Though, unbeknownst to the three childhood best friends, the two had a bet who the girl had feelings for.

Hanamaki wagered on Hajime, and Matsukawa put his stakes on Tooru.

Occasionally, they would attempt a hand to bring their bets closer by secretly setting up alone time away from the other best friend. Countless attempts that always failed hilariously.

Eventually, Celeste caught up and teased the two by saying they both secretly liked her bestfriends and were too shy to admit it. They were unnerved by the joke, but the girl insisted, so when a 1st year teammate passed by, she asked him a question.

"Nehneh Kindaichi-kun, if your captain and ace were interested in men or if they were women, who do you think Hanamaki-san and Matsukawa-san would date?"

The dark-haired 3rd yr crossed his arms in an attempt to intimidate the 1st year. "Dont answer that, or I'll tell the captain to have you run laps."

"So you'll choose Oikawa-senpai?" And with that, Celeste high fived Kindaichi and laughed together.

The team's pinch server Yahaba happened to hear the conversation and told the rest of his teammates.

Everyone gathered around and teased the poor third years. Even Kyotani jumped on the bandwagon by saying "its obvious who the Alpha would be." To which Hanamaki and Matsukawa put their arms around each other's shoulders and pointed at themselves,"and that would certainly be us."

"Wrong, it would be Iwaizumi-senpai, you bottoms." The second year spiker retorted. The third years were left astounded, and the team cackled at the remark.

Yahaba started to sing "Well it burned while I cried.." and everyone sang along until the gym doors burst open, revealing Hajime and Tooru.

"Why are you all huddled together?" The ace inquired, their captain in tow having just returned from a meeting with the coach.

Celeste put up her pointy finger to her lips, signaling a hush towards the team.

Everyone kept quiet and tried to play innocent until a quiet voice broke the silence.

"Iwaizumi Takahiro has a nice ring to it." Kunimi thought out loud with a serious face, and laughter ensued.

"Who is Iwaizumi Takahiro? Your cousin?" Tooru asked his wing spiker in confusion, eyebrows cinched together until they slowly straightened as if a light bulb formed atop his head. The sudden realization sent him to uncontrollable laughter.

Eventually, Hajime caught up with the joke and smacked Tooru's head.

"Ow! Iwa-chan so mean."

"How about Oikawa Issei? Or is it Matsukawa Tooru?" Kunimi wasn't done yet, hands on chin as if deep in thought. "Ah, but if Iwaizumi-san was bottom, that would make it Hanamaki Hajime!"

Everyone dropped to the floor, hands on their stomach, and laughed hysterically. All except for the four 3rd years still standing in shock, confused about what led the conversation to where it was.

"Kunimi, you are doing 5 additional sets of burpees." The ace ordered, not amused at the joke at all.

"But Yanai-san starte.."

"Do you want to be on cleaning duty by yourself too?"

The poor 1st year kept quiet and looked at Celeste accusingly. Before the girl could defend Kunimi, Tooru pointed at Matsukawa.

"Why would I date you?! I would rather it was Iwa-chan! Tough love is always a good challenge!"

"Iwaizumi Tooru!" Celeste burst out laughing while pointing at her two best friends.

Tooru pouted. "No, it has to be Oikawa Hajime. This guy's secretly receptive." After saying the last word, the captain ran towards the gym's exit as the ace chased after him for another smack in the head.

That day became the most chaotic practice day to date.

Before they knew it, it was almost time for the prefecture representative play-offs.

~Mid October 2012

Only a few more days before the big game and the once calm air slowly thickened due to the volleyball teams nerves. This was most especially true for the 3rd years as this would be their last chance to play for Nationals.

Everyone practiced sincerely in anticipation of the upcoming match.

It was either break it or make it.

Hajime was twirling the gym keys around his finger as he instructed his kouhai teammates to make sure they didn't leave anything.

After everything was finished, only three people remained.

"Ahh, what a long day it was!" Celeste stretched her arms up as Hajime locked the gym doors. "Neh Ha-chi, Too-chi, should we eat at my place? I ordered wagyu beef and vegetables."

"I would never say no to that! Wagyu is always the best." The brunette happily expressed.

"Wait for me at the school gate then, I'll just return the keys to the security office." The black-haired male walked off.

"Iwa-chan is always so serious, don't you think so Ce-chi." The girl hummed in response.

The walk to the main gate was quiet apart from the winter breeze blowing north, bringing about cold air. This didn't bother either of them, as they were both lost in thought.

"Too-chi, what are your plans after the upcoming play-offs?" The ravenette finally broke off.

"If things align for us, that would be to prepare for Nationals." The brunette lad smiled happily, but deep inside, he couldn't shake off the anxiety. "I really want us to win this. It's our last chance." Tooru whispered the last part.

"Dont push yourself too hard, okay? Like Ha-chi always says, just focus on the ball in front of you. If you let your mind wander off unnecessarily, it will take you out of the game."

Tooru stopped walking and faced the girl beside her. "I'm convinced you're ethereal and not of this earth. How do simple words from you make me feel at ease?"

Celeste rolled her eyes. "Feeling at ease doesn't really change the situation."

"But at least for the time being, I feel okay." He breathed calmly.

Out of the corner of the girls eye, she noticed a familiar figure jogging towards them, and then she smiled genuinely. "You know, I'm really happy I could spend this year with you two."

"Us too." He smiled fondly at her.

"Did I miss anything? Why are we smiling?" Hajime queried. Tooru wrapped his arms around both of his best friends shoulders.

"Because a delicious wagyu beef is waiting for us."

"But the bus won't," replied Celeste, and they all ran towards the bus stop.

The ride home wasn't quiet, just how it always was when the three were together. The banters were non-stop, and anyone seeing the three would know how close they are, like strings tied together, inseparable.

While riding the elevator to her apartment building, she couldn't help but feel content. 'I wish time would pass slowly, and we could all be like this longer,' Celeste thought.

Once inside her private flat, they were surprised to see a woman dressed elegantly sitting on the dining room chair.

Just as the ebony-haired woman turned her head to their presence, Celeste's bag dropped to the floor with a loud thud.