Dear Desire, Stop Burning - Iwaizumi

February 2013

"I think we'd make a great couple, Ce-chi!" Tooru quipped.

Celeste's easy smile and casual reaction only heightened Hajime's envy and insecurity.

The wing spiker looked away and tried to occupy himself by folding the volleyball net neatly. The setter and team manager were much closer lately, to the point of flirting.

Hajime tried a million times to talk to his captain about the text message he sent that one afternoon. To his annoyance, Tooru evaded them all.

He was either with company, mostly with Celeste, to his dismay, or he would entirely avoid being in the same room as him.

"What do you think, Iwa-chan?" Tooru tried to vex his best friend.

Hajime turned towards the setter, hands now in his sports jacket. His eyes burned holes through the arm that was wrapped around her shoulder.

Celeste wiggled out of Tooru's arms by tickling his waist, to which he tried to do the same, but the blue-eyed maiden grabbed both his hands in an attempt to bite him.

Their synchronized giggles echoed in the gym, sending a raised eyebrow from Matsukawa and a knowing smirk from Hanamaki. The younger team members watched their manager and captain curiously, some eyeing their vice-captain, whose frown did not go unnoticed.

Hajime balled his hands in a fist inside his pockets, nails digging into his palms as he grappled with the emotions he desperately tried to suppress.

Eventually, he found his voice and walked over to his best friends to untangle their hands.

"Stop flirting and help the team. You're the captain, aren't you? Then lead by example."

The said captain smirked at Hajime's jealous reaction, though the latter didn't catch on because he walked away from them.

"I don't think that helped at all." Celeste tugged at Tooru's sleeves as she pointed at the wing spiker walking towards the changing room.

The setter squinted his eyes in thought, "I'm afraid to say that my best friend is a coward."

"Did we overdo it?" The girl asked, concern evident in her voice. Tooru turned his attention to her, his eyes softening.

"If it comes down to it, why not be the first to confess?"

"Ugh, but I'm too nervous." She slightly tugged at her hair in frustration.

Tooru chuckled and ruffled the ravenette's hair, "Then that means he is too."

Hajime left the locker room just in time to see the gesture. His grimace deepened, and he beelined for the exit.

"Eh, you're leaving now, Iwaizumi-senpai?" Kindaichi asked but was met with silence.

"Too-chi!!" Celeste whisper-yelled at the captain.

"Then go follow him, silly bunny." Tooru pushed her towards the exit.

"Come with me too, please."

"Nope! You two need to talk this out." The setter helped the blue-eyed girl put her coat on.

"Then just follow us from afar."

After wrapping the scarf around her neck, Tooru placed his hands on her shoulder. "Ce-chi, this is between you two."

"Then, I'm not going."

"You're so stubborn."

"Because I'm getting too anxious." She looked up at him with a pleading face.