CH11 - Longingness

Asami's POV

I impatiently tapped my fingers on the car door handle as the ache in my head throbbed every passing minute.

When I closed my eyes an image of a serene man with a soft smile stared at me and it calmed all my uneasy nerves.

With a deep breath, I opened my eyes and held tight onto the hidden wedding ring looped in a golden chain around my neck. It was supposed to be a ring that meant forever and yet that forever ended so abruptly.

 If I had not signed the divorce papers 5 years ago then perhaps our family would have grown. Though I'd be a fool to think I would be genuinely happy. Certainly not when I'm reminded why I divorced the lad in the first place.

It's true that Earl was against the separation for the sake of Celeste, but I knew I no longer had his love for he had another. 

And the product of that love is a certain ravenette crystal-eyed girl.

'Aiko'.

"Little loved one" Was she named Aiko by Earl because she is his and her lover's very own?

The secret I've pathetically kept to protect my supposed family and Celeste's ignorance of such serious matter were my misery.

I was foolish.

Absurd as my decision to pretend I gave birth to her may have been, I did love her like my own, but perhaps my way was not the norms.

In her eyes I was a villain. Would she see her real mother the same once she finds out the truth?

After a short while, the passenger door opened, and in came the devil's spawn. No words were exchanged to which I was grateful for. I knew Celeste had many questions running through her mind, but all those could wait for the answers she seek will soon be revealed.

~

Hajime's POV

My eyes remained on the black sedan as it drove further away from sight.

Aunt Eri's condition must be grave if Celeste had to be escorted out of the country to see her. Although the tournament is days away, she may not be able to return in time to see us play.

More than the confusion and exasperation I felt, I could not help but worry for my best friend more. Seeing her conflicted and guilty for leaving us behind would trouble her for long.

Fate sure has a way of reminding us how unfair life could be.

Tooru brushed past me and muttered quietly, "I'm going for practice."

I let out a heavy sigh. Perhaps I need to let out some steam too.