Percy Is Charismatic As Hell

They ran into problems very quickly.

     Percy had turned up the radio, so Cage the Elephant's "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked" filled the air. Now, as previously mentioned, Percy looked 14. So when they passed a police officer on a motorcycle, they were forced to pull over. The fact that he was going 90 in a 65 speed limit zone, probably didn't help.

     Percy turned down the music as the police officer walked over to the car.

     "You know why I pulled you over?"

      "Well, obviously you felt the need to exercise your limited powers and punish me for ignoring the speed limit. It's okay, I understand. I like to punish people too. Or at least, I used to."

     "License and registration." The cop said, internally smirking, thinking he had cornered the Devil.

     "Coming right up." Percy said, and pulled out the money he had gotten from his safe last chapter. He started flipping bills as if counting them.

     "Are you trying to bribe me, sir?"

     "Yes, of course." Percy said, laughing a bit. He held up about $500 dollars. The cop looked at it confused. "Is that not enough? Take more, it's only money."

     "It's against the law, sir."

     "You people are funny about your laws, aren't you? You break the law sometimes, don't you?"

     The cop was quiet for a couple of seconds. "Sometimes. I'll put my siren on and drive really fast, for no reason at all. Just because I can."

     "Right! Why wouldn't you? It's fun! Feels good to get away with something, doesn't it!?"

     "Yeah!" His smile faded.

     "It's okay officer, people like to tell me things, as deep, dark, naughty, little desires on their mind. It's a gift. Must be something about this face. The attempts to keep them on you. Well, what are you waiting for- permission?! Go on take it!" He said, shaking the money. "Buy yourself something pretty, you deserve it! If you don't mind, I really must be on my way."

     "Oh, yeah! Of course. Hey, have a nice day." The cop said, walking back to his motorcycle.

     "You too, officer." He said. Then mumbled quieter. "You too."

     Percy drove off, getting back on the highway.

     Thalia and Bianca looked at Percy in surprise. "How did you do that?!" Bianca asked.

     "I'm the Devil. I could get away with murder if I wanted to."

     Zoë smacked his arm. Percy looked at her. "What? I said if I wanted to."

     Zoë shook her head. Thalia, Bianca, and Grover looked on with confused expressions. But, they were quickly distracted by the helicopter that started following them. Percy got off of the highway, made 4 right turns around a McDonalds, and got back on the highway.

     "What was that about?" Thalia said.

     "I was checking to see if they were following us. And they are. They probably saw us leave the museums. They also probably know our car."

     They drove for a couple more minutes, before Bianca yelled out, "There!"

     Percy crossed 2 lanes of traffic to park at a subway station. Percy opened his backpack and the car shrunk. Percy picked it up and placed it in his backpack. They bought tickets with some of Percy's money, and boarded. In a couple of minutes, they were headed southbound, hoping the helicopter didn't follow them.