lies

"Don't fucking lie."

My head turned towards the voice as my eyes widened in shock. Leaning on the doorframe, Callum was staring directly at me. His eyes drooped low, and his hands stayed in his pockets. His brows raised as he waited for some sort of response from me.

"Where did you come from?" I asked as I reciprocated the annoyed look he gave me.

"I've been here this whole time you dumb whore," he replied impatiently. "You're just too focused on your little boy toy," he finished with a small smirk as he pointed towards Zeke. I glared at him and cursed under my breath, making sure no one else could hear.

I turned back to Zeke, noticing the puzzled look plastered on his face. His eyes were now focused on Callum, his brows furrowed. What?" He asked in a curious tone. I tilted my head, confused by the unclarity of his question.

"What do you mean, 'what?' You fucking heard me, boy toy," Callum snarled, emphasizing the last part of his sentence.

Zeke simply shook his head in response. "No, I'm saying what do you mean, 'don't fucking lie?'" He asked calmly, waiting for an answer.

Remembering what he had first said, Callum shot me an unimpressed look before turning back to Zeke. "I don't know, maybe you should ask her," he suggested smugly. Zeke turned to me with a raised brow, expecting some sort of answer.

Shit.

I shrugged, acting oblivious. "I don't know what he's talking about," I mumbled.

"Athena," he growled warningly, demanding me to tell him the truth. "Okay okay," I blurted out with a surrendering tone. I cleared my throat and looked down. Slowly, I let my hands slip from under my robe and reveal the bandages wrapped around my palms. He grabbed my wrists and pulled me closer, his eyes now averted towards my wounds.

"What happened?" He questioned.

"One of the guards cuffed me when I blacked out. After I woke up, I tried to get them off— they were too tight, so they scraped my skin. It sort of hurts, but other than that my hands are fine," I lied with a sigh.

Just because I was showing him the truth didn't mean I had to tell him the truth.

Before he could say anything, I drew my hands away and pulled back the edge of my robe, looking down at my injured thigh.

He quietly stared, waiting for another answer.

"And this one— I got this one from my dad," I said, partially speaking the truth.

I mean, technically I did.

I did it to myself because of him, so it was basically from him, right?

"I'd rather not speak about it though," I said quietly, preferring to avoid thinking about my dad. I coughed nervously as I looked up towards Zeke. He sat there in silence as his eyes filled with pity.

This is exactly why I don't tell people shit: I don't need their fucking pity.

"I'm glad you're okay though," he said whilst he pulled me in for a hug. He held me for a few seconds before pulling back and letting me go, giving me a subtle smile. "Please stop keeping these things from me, Athena. You know I'm always here to talk. Just don't lie to me; I care about you and I just want to protect you," he admitted.

Great, now I feel bad for lying.

"I'll try my best," was all I said before he got up, heading for the door.

"I hope so," he responded before standing at the exit. "I'm leaving so you can get some rest. I don't want to nit pick at you too much, so I guess I can give you some alone time," he joked, letting out a subtle laugh. I chuckled and nodded, giving him a smile and waving goodbye.