enemies

Callum's POV:

"Five more minutes," I say as I sit down next to her. "And only five," I whisper under my breath.

Only five. Only five because I want to leave as soon as possible. I want to forget everything that just happened, and I want ignore the fact that I had let my emotions show.

Because of her and whatever the fuck she seems to do to me.

It's like she confuses me. I'm supposed to be mad at her. I'm supposed to hate her— despise her for ruining my profit. But instead, here I am, being sentimental and feeling bad for her.

What the actual fuck, bro.

I fiddle with my ring silently, trying to distract myself.

"Why do you keep fiddling with your ring?"

Why do you keep asking questions?

I clear my throat. "It helps me think," I mumble.

"You can always think out loud."

"No."

No I will not.

"Why not?"

"Just stop," I let out warningly. I'm not going to let myself slip again.

"Hades—"

"Athena just stop, okay? I don't need to fucking think out loud. I don't need to fucking do anything," I snarl aggressively.

Why is she even calling me that?

"Fine. I won't force you. But you really need to stop bottling everything up."

Silence fills the air.

"And what do you know about me? Who are you to tell me that kind of bullshit? You don't know me. You don't, because if you did, you wouldn't be talking like this," I snap.

And she just stares. Athena just stares straight into my eyes, and despite all I've just said— she smiles. She gets up casually, wiping the grass off of her pants. "I think it's been five minutes. Let's go," she says softly. I get up and furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

After a wordless walk down the hill filled with confusing thoughts and questions, we finally reach the car.

I turn the engine on and let the car warm up. As I lean back in my seat and relax, I turn over to her sitting in the passenger seat. Her face is lit up by the dim twilight, and strands of her hair decorate her puffy cheeks. Her face is still a bit swollen because of the crying, but I'm glad to see that a small smile is on her face now. At least she's a bit happier than before.

Why do I even care?

A sigh escapes my lips as I start driving, and the rest of the ride home is spent in quiet.

• • •

I press on the brakes and park the car inside the underground parking lot. As I turn everything off and head outside, I open her door. She gets out gently and murmurs a quick "thank you," and I shrug in response. I put the keys in my pocket before walking over to the elevator, pressing the button. As the elevator opens, I wait for her to get in first before tagging along.

The elevator door closes, and suddenly the tension seems to increase. I look around as I start to rub my ring again. My eyes flit towards her, and I abruptly notice her staring at me.

"You know it's rude to stare," I say with a slightly playful tone. I have to admit, I do feel a bit bad for being a dickhead.