dinner

Athena's POV:

"Hey," I exclaim as I walk down the stairs, jogging towards the door and in front of the man I've been waiting for all day. Well, not quite— I've been catching up with stuff on my phone, so I've had a lot of things to pass time. "How was work?" I ask.

It doesn't look like it went well.

His eyebrows are furrowed and his lips are pursed into a thin line. His eyes are brutally cold, and yet they seem to burn with a fiery anger. His jaw is clenched, and his steps are stiff as he lets out a frustrated breath through his nostrils. "Not so well, I take it," I whisper as he reaches me. I open my arms, and he freezes.

"Come on," I say when I notice his hesitance. His eyes trail me up and down once, and his expression softens as he clears his throat. He walks into my embrace, and I wrap my arms around his neck as he wraps his around my waist.

He sighs into my hair, placing his lips on top of my head. He squeezes gently, then inhales my scent. "You smell good," he whispers, probably trying to change the subject.

We pull away from each other's arms and head up the stairs, down the hall and into his bedroom. He opens the closet door and steps in, but he doesn't close it when he starts unbuttoning his shirt. Instead, he leaves it open, stripping himself bare, but making sure I don't see too much.

Mean. He's practically seen me naked.

He slides on a pair of sweatpants and exits the closet, closing it behind him as he walks to the bed. My eyes stroll his body, tattoos scattered here and there, marking the many places I want to touch— I want to feel.

Okay. Enough weird thoughts, Athena.

He slumps on the bed, laying down beside me, his eyes to the ceiling. He's spaced out, but that doesn't stop me from dropping my chin on his chest and staring into his eyes. "So what's up?" I ask quietly.

"Just work things," he says impassively. He rests his arm on my upper back, drawing small circles on my skin.

"I like to listen," I reply.

His eyes shoot me a glance, then lock on mine. For a few seconds, they seem to contemplate on whether he should confide in me or not.

In the end, he looks back to the ceiling and exhales a long breath. "One of my guards stole from the base," he confesses.

I thought I already took care of that.

"His name's DaVinci. I told Soren and Zion— the two guards that were at the base that night you snuck in— to tell Vander and Hayden to torture then behead him." he snarls.

"Don't you want to save him for questioning? Maybe he knows about some of your other guards."

"They can do what they want in the end, I don't fucking care. I just want him dead. Disloyal fucker," he snarls. I feel his arm press against me just a tad bit harder.

My arm swings over his chest. "At least you've already dealt with him, Hades. Don't worry too much about someone who's dead."

"That's not the point, Athena. The point is that there are guards— people— in my mafia that I can't trust. My own fucking mafia. I shouldn't have to deal with my own fucking guard stealing drugs from my base. How many more of them are there? It's stupid."

"You know what else is stupid?"

He looks at me.

"Thinking you can trust your own people. Hades, there will always be problems like this in a mafia as powerful as yours. Find them, get rid of them, and then keep going. You really think a mafia as big as yours is going to be all loyal?" I ask, my brow raised.