mother

I was awaken to the sight of Callum standing in front of me, staring down at my undone, messy self. Sending him a quick glare, I used my arms as support and sat upright. His eyes insulted me as odium seemed to fill his pupils.

"At least knock, you sick fuck," I snarled.

"I did. You didn't answer," he snapped back, his eyes relocating their gaze. Suddenly, his expression immediately changed. His eyes drooped low and a tense frown appeared on his face— it was as if he was distracted.

Unbothered, I stood up and strolled towards him, heading to the bathroom. Before I could fully make my way past him, his arm grabbed my waist and pulled me directly in front of him. His eyes were still glued to the same spot on my body.

What the hell was he looking at?

His hand reached for the area before my eyes looked down. A red tint covered my cheeks as my nostrils flared in slight embarrassment. I tensed up as my eyes blinked furiously.

A part of my robe had slipped off.

My shoulder was exposed, as well as some of my cleavage. I let out a heavy breath, humiliated. He was so distracted by it, yet I decided to pay no mind to whatever he was looking at.

How smart of me.

I cleared my throat as he pulled the sleeve back up. His expression quickly reset as he handed me the clothes he had in his other hand. "We have a guest. Fix yourself up and come down as soon as possible. We'll be waiting," he ordered. He snickered as I rushed to the bathroom wordlessly.

• • •

After I finish freshen up, I lay out the outfit and stare at it. Not bad, Callum. It honestly wasn't. There was a plain white shirt, some black jeans, and a panty set. A panty set is kind of questionable, though. I clear my throat before wasting no time to put them on. I comb my hair out smoothly and fix it up to the best of my ability. I stare at the mirror and nod in satisfaction, rushing my way downstairs.

I run down and announce a quick "I'm here!" I hear Callum's voice echo throughout the floor as he responds with a monotone, "In the living room." I head to the living room area in a hurry, not wanting to be waited upon too long.

As soon as my eyes identify the apparent guest, I immediately take that back.

For all I know, I should've taken my sweet damn time.

My eyes scan the person up and down before scrunching up my nose in a deprecating way. They simply respond with a smile. The fake smile that I've seen for years. The fake smile they use when they want to mess with me. The fake smile that I loved half of my life, only to realize its inauthenticity the other half.

"Oh Athena, how I've missed you," she cries out in a fake tone. I hold back my disgusted laugh. "It really has, hasn't it?" I nod and sit down next to Callum, who is—as usual— silently studying us in every way possible. He wears the same, cold expression on his face, but his eyes are shooting back and forth.

My attention is averted back to my mother when she speaks. "I want Athena back home, Mr. Rivers," she says in a seemingly sorrowful tone. He looks at my mother and raises an eyebrow. "Just because I let you have your little mafia boy back doesn't mean I'm going to let her go that easy," he taunted.

Dammit, so now Zeke is gone.

And going back home, where my father just tried to kill him. Great.

"I want my money Lyssa Hendrix," he says bluntly, shocking my mother. Her eyes widen for only a split second before she's back to the way she was, pretending to be sad. "Yes of course, Mr. Rivers. I can pay you by tomorrow. Just please let me have my daughter back," she sputters. I look back at him, studying his movement and facial expression. By the looks of it, he really does believe my mother cares.