base

I've wiped the tear from my eye,
and I will never let her see me cry.

Callum Hades Rivers

Her body heaves up and down against mine, a frustrated mess. It's as if she's a little girl again, only wanting comfort from her beloved. "It's okay," I say as I rub her back.

That's all I can say.

She's silent, her head pulling up from my chest. With a sniffle, a wipe of her cheek, and a small smile, she lifts herself off of me. "As much as I want to whine and complain and cry over my past, I'd rather you go to work and keep Vander's mouth shut," she replies.

I look at her for a few seconds. "You sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine, Hades. I just needed to let that out. Hell, that felt so good to get off my chest. And I thank you for that opportunity— I'm thankful for you." Her eyes glow with a sincerity that I can only hope will stay.

I nod, then head into the bathroom. The silence and emptiness of the room gives me a chance to finally think.

I— cried?

I cried?

Well, not really. I shed a tear.

I can't remember the last time I cried. I'm pretty sure I was ten at the time, when my dad had given me to one of his random friends. I wouldn't know, though. Not only was it a long time ago, I just didn't bother to keep tabs on when I've cried. For a child, it was way too many times, that's for sure.

And with all honesty, I wasn't expecting to cry. But the anger, the fear, the frustration, the hatred, the pain, the ugly truth in itself— it's as if she had given me a piece of her sorrow, a piece of herself. When she laid down on top of me, chest heaving against mine, breaths being shared because of the little space between us, it was as if she had shared her pain— the tiniest bit, the littlest piece.

Yet it hurt.

It hurt so much.

And when that tear was shed, silent promises were made.

I will never let you die alone.

I step into the shower after brushing my teeth, running my hands through my hair. I know what Athena said is true— as much as we both want to confide in each other and bond the way we just did, we have work. We have lives, we have jobs, and I have a fucking mafia to take care of on the daily.

I let the water drown me in my thoughts.

* * *

The fabric slides against my head and down onto my damp skin, covering my upper body. The white button-up shirt I'm wearing matches a pair thinly striped black pants, so I grab exactly that and put them on. I undo the first two buttons and take my chain out from under the shirt, all while looking at myself in the mirror.

With one or two sprays of cologne and the final fixing long sleeves, I step out of the closet and into the room, where Athena lays her eyes on me— and can't seem to take them off.

"Stop staring at me like that," I say, avoiding her gaze whilst walking towards her.

"Why?"

"It's not going to get us anywhere but out of my office— and I definitely will not be working, like Vander wants me to."