tease

One bed.

I lay my head on a pillow, my eyes scrolling lazily over her features. By the looks of it, she doesn't seem the least bit of happy about the idea of sleeping with me. Or at least, sleeping in the same bed as me.

"You can always sleep on the floor," I remark. "Or you can sleep in the guest room with the other two guys." Does she not realize how kind I'm being? She should at least be grateful for the fact I let her in my damn bedroom.

She sits there frozen, eyes hard against mine, an impassive expression crawling on her face. After a few seconds of contemplative silence, she finally reaches her answer. "I'll sleep here," she grumbles under her breath.

"Huh?" I tease, wanting her to say it louder.

"I'll sleep here," she says again, but only a bit louder.

"I can't hear you, Athena." I resist the urge to smirk.

"I'll sleep here," she repeats solemnly, an icy glare being sent my way. She's annoyed now, for sure— and I can't help but enjoy myself.

"So you want to sleep with me," I say as more of a statement than a question. If I thought her eyes couldn't get any angrier, I was wrong.

Though, it is fun to watch.

She brushes off my comment momentarily and moves to the other side of the bed, sitting awkwardly, as if waiting for instructions to bid her to sleep. I move beside her and lie down, waiting for her to do the same.

She leans back and places her head on the pillow beside mine, tucking herself deep inside the blankets.
She shifts a bit, and I feel her knees brush mine. That is, before she recoils immediately after and turns her back on me.

"Stop hogging the blanket," I complain as I tug on it weakly.

"Just because I want a soft bed doesn't mean I want to sleep with you," she says, her mind apparently sensitive to my words.

"Is that so?" I sing out.

"Yes, Hades. I hate you."

"Let's not say things we don't mean now."

"Goodnight."

"Do you really hate me?"

"No."

"I know."

Just wanted to make sure.

I let go of the subtle breath caught up in my lungs and sink into the bed, flipping the switch beside me and turning the lights off. I stare at the ceiling as my mind runs around in thought, Athena's back facing to me, her breathing starting to steady. She's falling asleep, I think to myself. That fast?

But my mind trails to another thought— the realization of what should've been done. She should be dead by now. She should be six feet under. I should've sent my guards to strangle her in her sleep as penance for ruining my chances for easy money.

But no. Instead, here she is, sleeping next to me, on my bed, in the room I let no one into. She's alive and well taken care of; and yet I feel no shame, letting her live. One might even say I'm unbothered.

But I am bothered. I'm confused— because I shouldn't be feeling this way. I just met this girl; yes we share the same pain, but is that really enough? Is that enough to make me not want to kill her? It shouldn't be.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

I escape my thoughts and let my eyes flutter close. Confusing myself can be done another time. Right now, all I want to fucking do is sleep and not think about any of it.

I shift to my side lazily, and eventually my breathing steadies.

• • •

"Athena."

"Athena."

"Athena, for fuck's sake, share the damn blanket," I groan. I had tried to wake her up, but it was to no avail. I take a glance at the clock on my bedside table. 6:00 A.M.

If sleeping with her means waking up this early, maybe she should sleep on the couch.

I decide to give up on my share of the blanket and start getting ready for the day— there's no use in waiting any longer.

Plus, I'm a light sleeper. I doubt I'd be able to sleep with her snores practically vibrating the room.

After listening to her roars and freshening up, I finally head downstairs for breakfast. My brows raise as I hear voices echoing. "You guys are up early," I say with an impressed tone. Vander and Hayden like to sleep in, so I'm usually the first one awake whenever they come over.

"We made breakfast," Hayden says rather proudly, Vander by his side. I look down at the pieces of avocado toast laid in front of them. The slabs of green sit neatly on the pieces of bread, butter spread underneath. A sunny side egg sits on each one, bits of ground pepper sprinkled lightly.

I walk over to the counter and lean in, grabbing a piece of toast.

"Not bad," I mumble as I take a bite. "Put more pepper on the eggs."

He nods and does as I say, then hands over another piece. "We made two for each person. Where's the girl?" His eyes travel behind me, searching for Athena.

"Sleeping," I announce. I take another bite of my toast.

"Looks like she's awake now," he says. His eyes seem to plant their gaze. I look behind me, only to see the girl wrapped sloppily in a night robe, hair up in a messy bun, palms rubbing her eyes.

"So everyone's just up early now?" I ask, directing the question to no particular someone. She walks over and stands beside me, staring at the toast. "What's that?"

"Avocado toast," Hayden says. "Have some." He slides the plate over to her and she grabs a piece.

"Thank you," she says, then she takes a bite. Her eyes glow as she swallows. "This is pretty good."

"Thank you," the male replies as he grabs a piece. Soon enough, we all start eating, and the boys decide to instigate a conversation with Athena.

I watch silently as smiles and subtle laughs are exchanged back and forth, the smell of toast filling my nostrils. The air seems calm; peaceful, almost. And for a moment, I feel comfortable. I feel like it's home— like they're my family.

Is that weird?

I take another bite of my toast, shaking off the barren thought.

"So I heard you're Hendrix's daughter."

My eyes meet Vander's gaze.

"Yeah," she says, a wary look in her eyes.

He nods slowly, crossing his arms and planting his elbows on the table.

Silence.

"I heard Jaxon is a bitch," he says, scorning at the thought.

Her body freezes. Her toast comes to a halt midway in her mouth. Athena's eyes widen. "I—"

"Enough," I say.

Fucking Vander.

Athena's eyes run swiftly to mine, and the shock— the pain, the hurt, the humiliation, the surprise; they all speak to me as she lets out a crooked smile. She doesn't say a word as she brings herself up to leave, but her pupils are enough for me to know.

"I thought I could trust you. Why did I ever think that?"