Chapter- 22

Ryan and Claire had left already.

"I think I should go and work things out with Josh." Nicole paused the second movie of the series and got up.

I nodded gently to not wake Ryder up. His head was resting on my shoulder, he was curled up in a ball and he was looking so peaceful. To be honest I wasn't even paying that much attention to the movie. I was just busy admiring him in his sleep. That's creepy, God why do I have to do these stupid, embarrassing things?

As Nicole made her way to the guest room, she by mistake tripped over the center table making the bowl of chips fall.

Ryder woke up from the noise. Good job! Now Ryder's up. I shouldn't say that!

I stood up from the couch and helped Nicole to get up.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I kind of tripped." She replied. "Oh no! I have made a mess!" She exclaimed.

"Don't worry about that!" I assured her.

"Okay then, I'll go and check on Josh then." She headed to the guest room.

"Okay." I nodded.

Now it was just me and Ryder in the living room.

"Oh, is your shoulder sore?" Ryder shook his head.

"Oh no, you don't have to worry about that" I smiled

"Your shoulder makes a great pillow though." He gave me a silly smug smile and I blushed.

"Well, Nicole's not here. In fact no one is." I smirked as I sat beside him.

"Oh, yeah?" He playfully said as he smiled.

"So.." I reached for the remote which was kept beside his other arm and he smiled.

"So?" he gave a playful smile. Oh God, he's taking it in the wrong way; this made me smirk.

"You know.." I gave him the playful smile he gave me earlier.

His eyes were full of hope and excitement. I know how much it's taking me to hold that laughter inside me.

"We can watch vampire diaries.." I couldn't hold it in anymore and chuckled.

"Really?!" He tried to hide his disappointment with a smile but I could totally make that out. He looked down and rubbed his eyes. He smiled and still looked embarrassed and at this point I think he is on the brink of blushing.

"You know what, let's watch it." He chuckled.

"Yeah, we will." I tried so hard not to grin but I failed and now I was grinning like a fool.

I was searching for the series while Ryder was texting someone. I finally found it and played it from the start.

We were watching the first episode when I felt Ryder's arm around my shoulder. I looked at him from the corner of my eye. Well, smooth, I'll give that to him. I in turn, rested my head on his shoulder and put my hand on his chest. He pulled me closer and now I was wrapped in his arms. He had a minty scent, maybe it was a perfume or something but that scent engulfed me. It was so comfortable I wish I could stay like this, with him forever.

"Hey" I paused the episode.

"Is everything okay?" He asked me as he looked at me. We were still in that cuddling position.

"Yeah, I just want to tell you something.." I started.

He looked at me, waiting for a response.

"I didn't tell you everything or anything about my dad or about my mom.." I spoke.

"And I told you that you don't have to if you don't want to." His arm was already around me. He rubbed my shoulder with his hand to comfort me. His eyes were staring right into my eyes.

"But I want you to know it, I mean I want you to know everything. It should be on the table. I mean you should know." I took one of his hands and held it with mine.

I took a deep breath and started, "Well, my 'mom' was never there for me. I mean she didn't get along with me or for a matter of fact with anyone. She was kind of a... drunk, she used to go to pubs and that too right after work."

I could feel Ryder hold my hand more tightly. I mean the guy's a keeper. I'll never know what I ever did to deserve him.

"Everyday?" He asked.

"Everyday, no skipping." I replied and continued, "Well, when she was drunk or even when she was sober, she used to fight with my grandparents about silly stuff. Like for example, even for the stuff that she was responsible for. She never cooked anything, never bothered to show up at family events and functions. She lived like a damn queen who wasn't responsible for anything, not even her own child."

My voice broke, I could feel a lump form in my throat and tears welled up in my eyes. I was on the verge of crying but not because I was sad, it was because of the anger I had towards her. That selfish little bitch.

"Sounds like a bitch to me." Ryder was angry, the clenched jaw and his furrowed eyebrows were proof of it.

His comment made me chuckle somehow, because this was the first unique reaction that I had received.

"What? What's so funny?" He looked confused as hell.

"Nothing." I wiped my tears, "It's just that most people say 'I'm sorry' and get all awkward. No one has reacted this way before." I shook my head.

"Well, I'm glad to be the first one to react like that. I mean as long as it makes you smile." He held my chin between his thumb and forefinger as he kissed my forehead.

Oh, this makes me melt every time.

"So, what happened next?" He asked.

"Well she, I mean my 'mom'...always wanted a boy so pretty much I was a disappointment to her. Like you won't believe this but, my grandparents raised me from the very beginning you know. They're the parent figures I have. Not even like 'parent figures', they are my literal parents." I told him.

"You're lucky in that case. You had them." His arms took me in an embrace, a tight one.

"Yeah, I can't thank them enough for everything they have done for me." I gave him a sly smile as I buried my head in his chest, close to his heart.

"You know, she cheated on my dad several times. Their relationship was toxic to the extent which made other relationships around theirs toxic too."

I didn't like calling her or addressing her as my mom. It made me pause, uncomfortable and cringe at the same time.

"You can call her by her name if calling her your 'mom' makes you uncomfortable." He whispered.

He really notices everything and what surprises me is that he hasn't judged me for anything yet. 

                                                                                         - ♡ -

Author's Note:

Hello again!

Congrats to the amazing person who made it to the bottom of the chapter! :)

You know the drill, make sure to vote the chapter if you enjoyed reading it!

Share it with your friends and family cuz, why not?

Much love,

Sofie Scott ❤️

                                                                                      -