Chapter-23

"Lauren." I told him her name

"Well, that's all about my mom." I sighed with relief.

"What about your dad?" He asked me.

"Well, you know Lauren left eventually from our life but my dad he.. stayed." I looked at him.

"But he didn't do shit even after staying." I paused.

"It's like I have a dad but I don't really have him you know." I shrugged.

"He's never there for me, I can never talk to him about anything and he is driven by revenge. That's it." I started with another 'story'.

"Hey, tell me if it's too much for you to handle. I'll stop, I don't want to put that shitload of pressure on you." I looked at him for confirmation whilst he was still holding me in his arms.

"You don't have to worry about me. I know some stuff worse or equal to this." He looked back at me.

"Continue, I'm here for you." He assured me as he rubbed my cheek with his thumb.

"Well, as I told you he's never there for me, you know. He has hurt me many times, not physically but mentally." Tears welled up in my eyes as the words left my mouth.

"But I let that shit go every damn time thinking that he's family. But I couldn't do that anymore." I paused to pull myself together.

"He wants me to be this strong businesswoman and take over the whole business empire and stuff. You see, it was his dream that he couldn't fulfill and he rubbed it in my face whenever he got a chance." I could feel Ryder's eyes on me

"You know, he has made some enemies to reach where he is today and now all he wants is revenge. Since he's not brave enough to avenge himself, he wants me to be his puppet." I stopped. I mean, it was too much now.

"I'll bring water for you." Ryder started to get up and went to the kitchen, soon he was there, in front of me with a glass full of water.

He handed me the water and as I was drinking it he began "You've been through a lot. But to be honest I never really knew you had so much going on."

"Nobody knows what goes behind the scenes and I don't tell them because no one can handle it. Also, I just can't trust people enough to tell them about all this." I chugged the water and put the glass on the table.

"So, you trust me enough to tell me all this?" He asked.

"Yeah, I mean I don't want to keep you in the dark. Also, I just don't really care about who finds out about it. This is who I am, I'm not the best person with a perfect life but I'm trying." I gave him a quick weak smile.

"So, feeling better?" He asked.

"Yeah, better." I replied.

"So, what else did he do?" He asked me.

"Well.." I started.

"He tricked me into believing that I could do all that, I could be powerful and crazy rich. All because I had potential to do so. " I continued.

"But I know I didn't but I believed him anyway. For the first time he was proud of me, you know, for taking the path he chose for me and for living my whole life his way. I too was certain I'd go to a business school and do what he wants." I told him as he sat right beside me.

"But then I noticed that I'm doing all this for a person who never gave a shit about me and that guy wants me to live life his way. I mean I realized that I was doing all of this for him and it really wasn't who I was or am you know."

"Revenge, business and power. These three words have nothing to do with me and I'd never like to be associated with these terms ever. When I told him that I changed my mind he started to manipulate me. When that didn't work he started to tell me the downfalls of doing anything except building a business." I paused, it's too much now.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I mean I will be. It's just a little overwhelming." I took a deep breath.

"You can tell it to me later, you look exhausted." He looked at me with concern.

"No, the whole drama has come to an end, let me get over with it. I don't want to remember all these things again." I replied softly, meaning every word and he nodded.

"Well, then when I changed my decision about the whole 'business empire' thing. The distance that we had before, when I was a kid came between us and to be honest I'm done pleasing him, he has drained me mentally and emotionally." I completed.

"So that's my story, I have family issues, daddy issues, mommy issues, friendship issues and trust issues. That's me." I finished.

"If you have trust issues, then how did you trust me?" He asked.

"Listen, I'm being honest now. I don't want you to think that I'm keeping things from you. I'm messed up and now you know. No secrets, from my side. You know before this I was afraid of what people would think about all this. But this month I've lost almost everything I had, now I'm not afraid of anything or anyone. I have nothing to lose." I meant every word I said.

"So all these years, you didn't have a boyfriend or anything because of this?" He asked.

"No, I mean kind of. I mean, everyone wants to be loved or have someone but being in a relationship was against his rules. He said that I should focus only on my career. I mean, should I screw the feelings that I have and just move on with my life? It was impossible but I had to do it anyway." I paused for a moment and continued, "For him." I replied.

"That's messed up."

"Tell me about it." I shook my head.

"Anyway. Moving on." I lightened the mood.

"Let's continue watching." I looked at him with a smile.

We were on the couch, one of his arm was wrapped around my waist and the other one held my hand. I scooted closer to him to decrease the very little distance between us and leaned my head on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat as he kept me warm in his arms.

"Katelyn." He whispered as he gently pushed back a cluster of hair which was on my face, which I guess, was to get a clear view of my face?

I looked up to find him already gazing at me.

Is this the moment? My heart is racing now, my hands are going cold and oh my God, I can't believe this is happening.