ii

Andrea sniffed when she opened her eyes, usually, she woke up to her roommate Inez making breakfast

Andrea sniffed when she opened her eyes, usually, she woke up to her roommate Inez making breakfast. But not this time. She yawned and stretched her hands over her head before sitting up, she brings her gloved hand up to her face and scrubs lightly. Andrea grabbed her phone off the charger and looked at the screen to see if she had any missing texts throughout the night, but she didn't.

She scooted her legs to the edge and sat upright, she put her hand out in front of her and admired her gloved hands thoughtfully before taking them off. Andrea got up and walked towards her dresser, opening the top drawer she hummed when she found the gloves she wanted to wear. She was slipping them on when Inez knocked on her door. "Hi, morning. Sorry about no breakfast today didn't feel like it." Andrea could tell something was wrong because her left hand tried to pull Andrea to touched Inez, to her help but her powers were shut down when she slipped the other glove on effectively blocking her powers.

"It's fine Inez, I just woke up too." Andrea was careful not to let her arm touch, Inez, as she walked past her friend, Andrea uses the issue that she has a skin condition. It works but it makes it hard for her to make friends besides her sister, but then she met Inez.

Andrea sighs as she grabs an apple from the bowl in the corner of the counter. "You know you can take those off, I don't mind." This isn't new from Inez, she says it to Andrea once a week but Andrea always lets her down. "I'm good Inez, thanks for asking." Andrea smiles before sitting in front of the computer In the living room.

Her gloves made it hard to type at times but they were like her second skin, when she didn't have them on she felt naked. She felt protected when she would wear them, her powers would calm and things would be okay.

See, she didn't get these powers normally. She got them when Jessica died, the fire released something in Andrea she doesn't know if it was because of the bond they had but since that night when she was comforted by her mom she became a strong empath. Not only can she take on someone's emotions but she can also change their emotions to make them feel whatever she's feeling in that moment, which is why she says she has a skin condition.

Andrea doesn't want anyone to know, the only one who knows is her sister, Enola. She found out by accident, Andrea felt that Enola needed to be comforted because her boyfriend cheated on her. When Andrea hugged her, Enola felt fine and that was something she noticed.

So after that day, Enola became her confidant. Someone that shielded her when her powers got too much, they were each other's best friends.

"Hey." Andrea looks up when she hears Inez's voice say something behind her, she can feel the heat from Inez's hand hovering over her shoulder. "What's up?" Andrea moved so Inez couldn't touch her, she flipped her hair so it was in front of her shoulder. "Just wondering if you'll be done at 2ish, I have an important class then." Andrea nods quickly. "Of course I will."

The two of them were in college, somehow the same college so the only logical thing was to become roommates at an apartment near campus. The two of them loved it. "Good, I'm gonna go to the coffee shop. Do you want anything?" Inez asks walking towards the bar in the kitchen which had a bowl on it which stored their keys. "Yes, coffee. Let's be real here, you just want to go to the coffee shop so you can see the cute guy you liked." Andrea teased as she was walking towards Inez. "Stop it!" Inez playfully pushed Andrea on the shoulder.

Andrea tensed before Inez went silent. "I'm sorry, are you okay?" Inez asks her hands hovering in case Andrea needs anything. "No." Andrea shook her head before she rubbed the spot that Inez touched gently. She closed her eyes tightly before shaking her head quickly to push down the emotions that threatened to overcome her. Andrea looked up to see Inez's worried face, only then did she realize she said no.

"I meant, no don't be sorry, it was an accident. Don't worry, go see the coffee shop boy. If you wanna make it up to me you can get me a cake pop." Andrea teased, smiling to let Inez know she wasn't mad at her best friend.

"Of course I will, it's the least I could do." Inez smiled but it seemed strained. Before Andrea could question her on it she grabbed her keys and walked towards the door. "I'll be back in a little bit Andrea." Inez smiled before she opened the door to their apartment and walked out, shutting it behind her.

Once Andrea knew that Inez was gone, she let the tears flow. It wasn't of sadness but instead, she cried because she was overwhelmed. She always felt like this after she felt someone's emotions, her own emotions would be overwhelmed and it would spill over which led to tears.

Sniffing she wiped her nose with her gloved fingers, huffing she walked back over to her computer and tried to focus on her school so she can at least look like she's been doing something when Inez gets back.