xiv

Andrea shuffled closer and tightened her arms around the bare waist before smiling in her sleep, suddenly her eyes snap open

Andrea shuffled closer and tightened her arms around the bare waist before smiling in her sleep, suddenly her eyes snap open. She looks next to her to see that she was cuddling Claire, her face heats up as she starts to try to get away but Claire moans and shuffles closer to Andrea making her freeze in fear. Andrea is too busy trying to figure out how to get out of the hug Claire has trapped her into that she doesn't notice that Claire is staring at her with a smile on her face. "You know, you could just slide your arm out," Claire says letting her head rest on the pillow looking at Andrea with a smile.

Andrea sputters before trying to come up with a good response. "I'm sorry, I move in my sleep." Andrea lets out the weak excuse which Claire must see right through because she lets out a gorgeous laugh that makes Andrea melt. "It's fine, how do you want to do breakfast?" Claire asks looking at Andrea not moving even though Andrea is getting out of bed.

"We can get breakfast on the road, I don't really fancy motel food and I'm not really that hungry right now anyway." Claire nods and grabs her phone that was charging on the nightstand, she types something on her phone before laying on the bed beside her. "The nearest town is 1 hour away, are you going to be hungry then?" Claire asks watching Andrea grab some clothes out of her bag and takes her shirt off after looking at Claire asking her if it was okay which she got a nod at. "I'm sure I will be," Andrea said muffled because she was pulling her shirt down.

Claire hums and scoots to the edge of the bed before getting up. "I gotta take a shower, you cool to chill?" Claire asks digging in her bag taking out some clothes for her to wear. "Yea that's fine, I need to change my gloves anyway." Andrea smiles waving her gloved hand at Claire who shakes her head fondly before walking towards the bathroom and shutting the door.

Andrea frowned at herself because of the stupid thing she said, she shakes her head quickly before checking her phone. Still, no text from Enola but she did get a text from Sam asking her how it's going, she quickly sent him a reply saying it was going good before unplugging her charger from the wall and stuffing it into her bag so she doesn't forget about it.

She looks around the room trying to find anything else that belongs to her, she walks over to her pants that she wore yesterday on the chair so she balls them up before taking another look around, she finds her shirt and stuffs the two things into her bag before zipping it up feeling satisfied she's gotten everything, she could pack Claire's things for her but she doesn't know how well the blonde girl would take that so Andrea decided not to she just sat at the table in the room drinking the leftover coffee she stuck in the fridge last night for today.

Andrea was busy on her found but she looked up when she heard the door open to the bathroom, she had to hold in a gasp when Claire walked out. To anyone else she looked like she always does but to Andrea, she looked breathtaking.

||

"Are you ready?' Claire asks Andrea from the driver's seat, 7 hours into the drive to California they switched so Claire got to drive to the police station while Andrea navigated her to it. "No, but you said this would be helpful right?" Claire nods quickly. "Then let's do it." Andrea quickly unbuckled before opening her door which Claire already unlocked when she parked.

Claire glanced at Andrea worriedly but she didn't see it, Claire bumped her shoulder with Andrea as she handed Andrea her keys. "Which excuse are we using?" Claire asks lowering her voice so only Andrea can hear her. "You're my P. I and I came along because I want to say goodbye to Inez one last time before she's buried." Andrea's voice cracks when she says buried, she's not ready for this but if it helps Claire catch who did it she'll do anything.

Claire nods and reaches out to open the door and Andrea walks through it, Andrea bites her lip as she looks around at the police officers who suddenly stare at her by the look on their faces they must remember her which is shocking to Andrea. "Hi," Andrea says to the receptionist who tilts his head and gestures for Andrea to keep talking. "Can I speak to the officer in charge of the Inez Barnes case?" Andrea tries her best to keep her voice from cracking when she's talking about her best friend, she jumps when she feels Claire's hand on her back. She looks down and takes a deep breath, she can feel her powers wanting to jump out and do her empath thing because of the number of people in the room but she tries to focus on the feeling of Claire's hand on her back.

"I'm sorry but-" The receptionist gets cut off by an officer coming up to them. "Hi, what are you wanting to know about Inez Barnes?" The officer says ignoring the way the receptionist rolls his eyes which tells Andrea it wasn't the first time he's been interrupted. "Um, I have a P.I here so I'm doing my own investigation into Inez's death and I would like to see her one last time." Andrea looks at the officer adjusting her shoulders keeping her head held high.

"License?" The officer grumbles looking at Claire who hands him her license for Private Investigations, it's fake Andrea knew that much but is a good fake because he nods and gestures for the two of them to follow him. "Here you go, the M.E is out but I'll be posted outside to door to make sure you don't take anything you shouldn't." The officer says opening the door to the morgue, Andrea and Claire walk in together before Andrea pauses looking back at the door which was already closed.

"Hey, are you okay?" Claire asks looking at Andrea with concern in her eyes. "I'll be fine." Andrea is not ashamed to say that her voice cracks because she looks up to see Inez still on the rolling table. Andrea shivers before walking closer to Inez, Claire pokes her. "Thanks." Andrea's face gets hot despite the temperature as Claire helps her put on the jacket she offered Andrea. "Of course, I'll take pictures of the M.Es report then I'll take pictures to see if she has any bites okay?" Claire looks at Andrea with kind eyes, Andrea nods but doesn't tear her eyes away from the motionless Inez, she looks pale and lifeless which makes sense but Andrea doesn't know her like this.

She gulps and walks closer to Inez and brushes her hair back before leaning forward and kissing her on the forehead, it felt weird to Andrea but it felt right. Andrea was in her own little world because she didn't notice when Claire came up and took pictures of the very obvious bite on Inez's neck. "Are you ready?" Claire asks loudly which makes Andrea jump slightly, Andrea runs her gloved hands through her hair before nodding.

"I think I am."