Calum

Ninety-seven. Ninety-seven calories in a shot of Vodka.

I’d already had  two and now someone had thrust some unnamed punch into my hands which contained who knew how many calories.

“What’s the matter?” the girl, Sarah I think her name was, or maybe it was Sierra, I wasn’t sure, laughed.

Looking down at the red plastic cup in my hands then back up at her I forced a smile. She was pretty enough, in that, ‘I just came off the conveyor belt’ way. Small, thin, artificially tan, dyed blonde hair, threaded eyebrows, caked makeup, push up bra, crop top, short skirt. There were dozens of girls who could have been her identical twin, one dancing on the counter, another inhaling Justin’s face, yet another trying to find a boy to take her up stairs.

“It’s Calum isn’t it?” the cookie cutter cliché infront of me pressed.

“Yeah.” I replied, looking back down at my cup, a headache pounding behind my eyelids, not helped by the deafening music pouring from the next room.

“I’m Sierra.” She announced.

I’d almost called her Sarah, I was glad I didn’t.

“I’m in your science glass.”

“Oh.” I said slowly, “Yeah I knew that.”

I didn’t.

“So how are you?” she asked her shoulders dipping lazily along with the music.

“Fine.” I lied trying hard to ignore my conscious screaming at me to find a bathroom and eject the caloric alcohol from my system.

“You’re anorexic right?” she pressed.

Pressing my tongue to my inner cheek I remained silent.

“Everyone thinks I’m anorexic.” She carried on, “But I’m just skinny.”

“Oh.” I replied, wondering why she thought I cared.

“You’re looking good though.” She continued, “For a while you were looking kind of gross you know? But you’re looking healthier now.”

Healthier? What the heck did that mean? Fatter? Was I getting fat?

Alarmed I looked down at my body. Had I really put that much weight on?

I mean sure, I was eating more then I was, but not much, just enough to get my Dad off my case. My eyes wandered down my torso to my legs. They were kind of big, and my arms, they were flabby, I probably looked gross.

“Are you going to drink your drink?” she questioned, pulling my mind back to the present.

“Why?” I questioned, looking down at the cup, having no intention of drinking its contents, “You seem suspiciously eager did you spike it or something?”

“No!” she cried, swatting my arm, “Do I look that desperate?”

Yes.

Rolling her eyes and shaking her head she took the cup from my hands and took a sip, leaving a shocking pink lipstick stain on the plastic.

“See.” She said pointedly.

Forcing a grimace like smile.

“You’re not going to drink it are you?” she sighed, placing her hands on her hips.

“I’ve had a lot.” I lied, “I don’t want to get hung over.”

“Aw you’re so like, responsible!” she laughed, “Do you want to dance?”

“Uh, no.” I answered, “I’m good.”

“Calum.” She whined, “Do you want to go upstairs?”

“No.” I said quickly, too quickly, “No thank you.”

“Outside?” she questioned, seeming desperate, “I think some of the guys are going to set off fireworks.”

“Okay.” I agreed, eager to get away from the drink and the music which had increased my headache to a full blown migraine.

I knew eating would fix the problem but that wasn’t an option.

“Yay!” Sierra shrieked, making my ears ring as she reached out and grabbed me by the hand, “Come on!”

Glancing over my shoulder to where Katy was sat alone at the kitchen table on her phone, I hesitated, however receiving a harsh yank from Sierra, I had no choice but to follow after her.