Katy

Triple checking that the cardboard thin, off kilter bathroom door was locked, I took a shaky breath before turning to look in the mirror.

It was cracked and dirty, streaked with the toilet bowl intended bleach used to clean, yet I could still bright red, turning purple around the edges mark which stained my cheeks.

Inhaling sharply I tentatively reached up and prodded the numb stretch of skin, ignoring the ringing in that year which was yet to recede.

As my image blurred in front of me I wiped the moisture leaking from my eyes with the sleeve of my sweatshirt.

I was shocked he'd hit me and hurt, but I'd hit him, I deserved it I suppose.

Sniffing pathetically I turned on the tap, making a face of disgust as rust tinted water spewed out. Waiting for it to run clean, I then dipped my hands beneath the flow and lowering my face splashed the cool water onto it.

Shutting off the water I reached for a towel when I was started by three firm knocks on the door.

"I'm coming." I said shakily, "Just a second."

"I brought you a toothbrush." Ashton's voice answered, "And a sweatshirt so you can change, you know, if you want."

Taking a deep breath I hastily dried my face before pulling the door open revealing a still guilty looking Ashton, holding out a folded up, piss yellow, 'Welcome To Kansas' sweatshirt, with a cheap, plastic toothbrush and a travel sized tube of toothpaste lying on top.

Nervously I reached out and took them.

"Do you need anything else?" Ashton asked.

I shook my head.

"Are you hungry."

Again I shook my head.

"I bought some stuff." He sighed, gesturing to a plastic bag crammed close to bursting with an assortment of chips, cookies and candy.

"No thank you." I said stiffly, flinching as he raised his hand, then feeling like an idiot as he ran his fingertips through his hair.

"Don't do that." He pleaded helplessly, "I didn't mean to hit you, not that hard. It's just you were hitting me."

"After you dragged me by my hair." I whispered.

"What?" He questioned.

"Where are we going?" I demanded.

"Hawaii." He answered.

"Why didn't we just go to the airport then?"

"My friend in Cali had a private jet, that way..."

"No one will see us." I interrupted, "That way no one can stop you and help me."

"You don't need help."

"You hit me."

"You were asking for it."

Shocked, I took a step back, "How was I asking for it?"

"You knew we were running away." Ashton replied, crossing his arms over his chest,"did you honestly think we'd be hiding out around the corner?"

I shrugged.

"You're the one that wanted to come."

"I thought I would be safe with you."

"You are."

"You hit me."

"Katy."

"No! Have you seen my face? You of all people Ashton, I never thought you would hurt me."