Katy

Walking along the uneven sidewalk, my sneakers soaked with rain water, I was only about mile away from my house when I saw them.

Outside the Diary Queen, teetering drunkenly on the low brick wall which circled the establishment they laughed loudly and obnoxiously. Dressed in dresses which undoubtedly cost more than my house, looking like celebrities, my heart sank at the sight of  the throng of my classmates.

For a moment I contemplated turning around and walking in the opposite direction, around the world if I had to until I reached my house from the other side, however as soon as the thought crossed my mind I dismissed it.

This was a group of teenagers, I was a teenager, this was not their sidewalk, it was public property and I was passing. I would keep my head down and they wouldn’t even notice me, they were too into themselves to pay me any attention.

That’s what I told myself anyway, until I heard my name being called. I was close to being past them when I heard them and grudgingly stopped in my tracks.

Taking a deep breath I turned around, my heart sinking at the sight of Bethany and Lexi.

Dressed in dark, sparkly dresses which barely covered their backsides, they smirked at each other before hopping off the wall where they were stood and walking towards me.

“Katy.” Bethany said slowly, “We missed you at homecoming.”

Looking down at the sidewalk I listened to the click of her stilettos on the sidewalk.

“Yeah,” Lexi agreed, “What happened, no one asked you?”

Pulling my hands into my sleeves I took a deep breath before forcing my gaze upwards.

“No. Someone asked me.” I mumbled.

Looking amused, Bethany crossed her arms over her more or less none existent chest.

“Who?”

“Someone.” I muttered.

“Someone.” Lexi mimicked, “What were they imaginary?”

Feeling the rest of their group watching me, I looked down.

“Lex.” Bethany chided, “You should give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe someone did answer.”

“Then why didn’t she come?” Lexi questioned.

“Look at her.” Bethany giggled, “She couldn’t find a dress.”

More laughter.

“Can you just stop?” I snapped.

Her eyes widening, smirked, “Excuse me?”

“You heard me.” I replied, “I’ve been putting up with your crap since third grade. I’m over it. Why aren’t you?”

Pleased with the stunned look of defeat I turned on my heels and shoving my hands in my pockets started home.

“Wait! Katy!”

Ignoring the call I kept going.

“Katy!”

The next thing I knew, Bethany was standing infront of me, preventing me from going anywhere.

“What?” I demanded.

“I’m sorry.” She replied.

Taken aback by her apology I felt my eyebrows narrow in suspicion, “You are?”

“Yeah.” She sighed, “I was a total bitch.”

“You’re really sorry?”

“Of course.” She replied, “I feel really bad. I don’t know what I was thinking.”

“It’s okay.” I said slowly.

“Great!” she said happily, stepping out of my way, “I’ll see you around Katy.”

“See you.” I mumbled.

Raising a hand in a half hearted wave I started past her, however I didn’t get very far before I was tripping over something and falling flat on my face.

Immediately cruel and animalistic laughter filled the air. My eyes filling with tears of pain and humiliation I looked around and my heart dropped finding several people standing behind me, their phones held in the air, filming me.

Blinking rapidly to keep from crying I tried to stand up, but there was something pressing down on my back. Looking behind me I found a boy I recognized from my history class pushing down on me with his foot. Smiling, he flexed his arms, posing for the cameras which were capturing everything.

“What’s the matter Katy?” Lexi asked bending down next to me, “You look thirsty.”

“Stop it!” I pleaded, “Please.”

Moving to stand infront of me, Lexi kicked water from the puddle infront of me into my face.

“Drink it.” She spat.

“No, stop it!” I cried, tears rolling down my cheeks and mixing with the dirty water.

“Drink it!” Lexi repeated.

“Drink it! Drink it! Drink it!” Bethany chanted, the others joining in until they were all shouting at me in a deafening unanimous roar to drink from the puddle.

“She said drink it.” The boy standing on top of me laughed, before forcing my head downwards towards the murky, brown water.

Keeping my mouth firmly closed I shut my eyes as he ground my face into the puddle, my nose scraping the sidewalk underneath.

It hit me then, as he held my face down that drowning in two inches of puddle water was a legitimate possibility. I wondered how long it would take. If would hurt. What would happen afterwards….wo would find my body? Some poor family of four out for an evening stroll, the underpaid woman with an under bite who ran the Diary Queen, or maybe more teenagers would happen across it. Who knows what they would do with it. Use it as a ramp for skateboarding more than likely.

I also realized from what it was that Luke had wanted to protect me from when offering to walk me home that night. It wasn’t one thing, it was everything. I wondered if I would see him, if I died. Or if everything would just be over, and done and I would simply cease to exist.

And then, it was over. I was being pulled up by the back of my hair, gasping for air while they laughed, the flash of their phones blinding me. Realizing that I was no longer being held down I scrambled hastily to my feet and backed away from the group.

“What’s the matter Shamu? I thought whales loved water?” someone laughed.

Turning, I ran. I didn’t care if it hurt, or if it was hard, or if my lungs were screaming in protest. My foot squelching in my shoe with every step and tears blurring my vision I ran away from them, their cruel remarks and their harsh laughter, and towards home.