Beyond Me

Luisa

Three years inside of a bunker could drive the average human insane but I wasn't average. The only reason was that I had some experience with the Ark, but at least we had a window.

There were certain things I could do to keep myself grounded like work or watching people die in the arena. There were a few people that reassured my sanity: Roan, my distant father, and the eleven-year-old boy.

"Keep your feet apart or you'll lose balance," I stated. Ethan nodded and settled his feet before gripping his sword and went in to fight me. I blocked the strike and he slid the blade out to dive under my legs and kick me in the knee-bend.

"One point for me, heda," he said. "You're getting better," Gaia hummed. "You may go." Ethan ran off and I wiped the sweat on my face and slid my sword into its hold.

"I do think you should take in the other children," she suggested. "No one has black blood, they can't be Commanders," I said. "Ethan isn't and yet, you've chosen him to be your champion," she said.

"He's under my care and protection so he will have to do things like me. At least I know he will continue my legacy," I said. "May the Spirit of the Commanders choose wisely."

I put on accessories and walked out of the practice room to be followed by guards. I entered my office where Raven was sitting on the desk, kicking her legs.

"Hey Commander," she greeted, standing. I knew that if she was the only one here, then it would be a serious conversation so I closed the doors. "The food's running out and we're about to be the Blight Generation. Sinclair estimated that next week is when the effects will happen."

"What do you have in mind?" I asked. "The fighting pits don't seem to be working. A hundred and fifty people dead is not enough of an impact." "Terrible idea," she stated. "We can't be eating leaves forever because we need nutrients and protein and the only valuable source- we don't have animals-"

"Humans," I calculated and she stressfully nodded. "Their meat is enough to keep us alive for a year until the farm starts producing again," she explained. "I can use the bones as a source of energy. I don't want to do this but I need your confirmation." "Do it."

She nodded and walked out of the room, leaving me in a mental disaster and I huffed, sitting on the desk. The doors opened and my head lifted to see Roan enter.

"What's wrong?" he asked, lifting my chin. "Too many people," I said. He stood between my legs and rocked them around. His forehead pressed against mine and he cupped my cheeks.

"Heavy lies the Commander that holds the Flame," he said. "That's not the saying," I breathed. "But I understand." I held onto the buckles of his vest.

"I love you, Roan," the absurd words came from my mouth. "Does that make me weak?" "No," he shook his head. "It makes you human." He lifted his head to kiss my lips and I exhaled when he pulled back. "You didn't eat yesterday, come with me."

I pursed my lips and complied, leaving the office. We went down the ramp and to the cafeteria where blocks of red meat were placed on our trays. Some people were confused but I knew exactly what they were and sat at the middle of my table filled with my inner circle.

"What is this?" Ethan whispered from across the table. Everyone's eyes looked at me and I responded, "Food that will keep us alive. All of them, for all of us." "Wait-what?" Lincoln questioned. "Them?"

"Eat." I sprinkled the salt on the cube and took a bite out of it and it tasted cold, plain, and like iron from someone's blood. From the example of a Commander, those who didn't question me took a bite and others didn't.