Sacrifice Me

Josephine

I was staring at myself in the mirror, my red dress cinched against my curves. I was extremely tall and wearing heels would make me a giant so I put on some flat shoes. I had tattoos stretched from my neck to my arm and a large piece down my back and an infinity sign on the back of my neck.

Honestly, I liked them. Luisa had kept her hair healthy and I could touch it and style all the time. A few strands were put in braids and tied at the back of my head and it shaped my new diamond face. I smiled.

"Josephine," Dad called out. "Come in," I said and the doors opened. I stretched out my arms to be wrapped in the embrace of my parents. "How do you like your new body?" he asked. "I love it," I said. "Really." "That's good."

"So... what are the plans for today?" I asked. "There's a Prime party for you and Priya," he said and my eyes widened. "Yes. Your job before that is to reconcile with Wonkru the loss of their leader. In the process, you gain their trust and invite them to the party." "I'll try." "Jade will be your guard."

I nodded and left my room. Jade accompanied me out of the palace and we trekked to their side of the territory. I veered out of their way, some staring, and went up an outside lounging area. I grabbed a book from the shelves and sat down, pretending to read while I studied them from higher ground.

The first one I spotted was a man: black short hair, incredible body, looked like a leader; he was walking with a brown-haired girl who I'd prefer to have her body. She kind of looked like me: tall and confident; but, she had no tattoos. There was a limping girl with a brace on her leg who wore a red jacket and her eyes were darting at me. Another woman, short with a strong demeanor, followed a girl around. She was like a guard, walking wherever she went. However, the other one besides the girl didn't seem like a leader, but just an adviser. Like the blonde girl who I had seen earlier.

The little girl and her entourage climbed the stairs and I kept my eyes on my book as they approached me. She stood in my peripheral vision, waiting for my attention, and I slowly looked up.

"Hi, can I help you?" I said with a light smile. "Leave us," the girl ordered and the two behind her, disappeared. I glanced at Jade and she went down too.

"I'm Josephine," I introduced myself. "I know," she replied quite rudely for a child. "I'm Madi." I watched as she sat a few feet from me on the couch, the thing on her shoulder, resting uncomfortably. "What is that?"

"It's my clothing," she replied, crossing her legs. She drew a small knife from her boot and started twirling it. "You don't scare me," I told her. "I don't need to be feared," she replied. "I'm respected as a leader; a commander."

"Aren't you too young to lead an entire clan?" I asked. "Wisdom is passed down to the next," she said. "Besides, I've been ready since I was left to die." "Alrighty then. Tell me about my host. I'm sure I've taken a body that meant a great deal to all of you."

"You didn't just take a body," she snapped. "You took someone's daughter, a sister, a mother figure. You took the head of a serpent but... one will always grow back." "Well, after what I've heard. Your Luisa was bound to die sooner or later. I just made it happen. I rid your lives of evil."

"That's the thing," she began. "You can't just get rid of her. It's nearly impossible because she's the greatest fighter." "The Commander of Death, you mean." "And she will kill you from the inside out." Madi leaned in and whispered, "Tell me when you start hearing voices. There are two many minds in one body and the original one will prevail. Jus drein jus daun."

My eyebrows raised, not merely terrified of the child threatening me. I got up at the same time as her and we went down. "I'm Josephine," I greeted her mean-looking friends.