Chapter 3: First Battle

Eric's POV

Location: Combined AL/CA Pacific Base

Date: March 16th, 2064

It was early the next morning, and everything was calm and quiet.  That was, until a wake-up alarm was heard in Eric's room, which was soon shut off.  He quickly got out of bed and prepared for his first day of actually commanding the fleet.  Every day, since his first week at the Academy, he had a routine that he attempted to keep up with.  It started off with a jog around the campus, followed by a shower and a hearty meal afterwards.  This would be finished with any work that needed to be done before his classes started up.

Eric: *Thoughts* I guess a few things will be somewhat different here, since there are no classes for me to attend and the campus has changed into a full on naval base.

Shaking these thoughts out of his head, he headed for the outside, wondering what today had in store for him.

Insert Opening Theme Here

Z23's POV

The sun was up and the base was beginning to come alive.  Z23 slowly opened her eyes as she tried to remember what she was supposed to be doing.  She soon remembered as she got out of bed and stretched, realizing that she was up earlier than usual, even before her alarm was blaring in her ear.  Turning her alarm off before it woke anyone up, she slowly got ready for the day, trying hard not to wake her sisters.  Making it out of her room, she went straight toward the cafeteria, wondering what Nevada was cooking today.  By the time she made it to the office, she had gotten bacon and eggs, a staple of the breakfast here.  She made it inside the office to find it without the Commander.  Thinking he was still sleeping, she placed her food down at her desk and went to knock on his bedroom.  Upon the first knock, however, the door slowly opened up, making Niimi suspicious about the entire situation.  Deciding to investigate, she opened the door even more to not see the Commander in the bed room, his bed made, and the bathroom closed. Hearing water cascading down, she figured he must be getting ready for the day.  She was about to leave when she heard the Commander speak.

Eric: I don't know what to do, Connie.  The girls under my command are, for the most part, scared of what I could do, and I'm not surprised.  And from what I read in their folders, I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle here.

Z23 stopped in her tracks.

Z23: *Thoughts* Who is the Commander talking to?  To my knowledge, there is no kansen here by the name of Connie.

She listened for a response from this "Connie" but she heard nothing.

Eric: You say that it isn't impossible, but you saw the contents of the folder.  It said that she is a 'kind and energetic girl, who wants to make friends.'  And you saw what she was like yesterday, and even when I was first here.  She is a mental wreck.

She continued to listen as she thought about yesterday and almost two years ago.  She didn't remember anyone with the Commander.  She heard a heavy sigh as he continued to speak.

Eric: I just don't know what to do.  She said that she doesn't trust me.  You heard her, you were there.  And my inability to smile isn't going to make things easier.  What should I do?

She heard the shower stop and she began to panic a little.  If he found her in his room, he may not trust her like they don't truly trust him.  She quickly rushed out the bedroom and quietly closed the door, but decided to stay near the door to listen some more.  After a few minutes, the door to the bathroom opened and she heard some rustling, probably clothing that he may be putting on.