2. Unknown number, who this?

Rose Clark POV

"Thank you so much for helping out tonight Rose! You, my dear, are a saint!" 

 I chuckle shyly and shake my head. "It's my pleasure, really! I'm happy to help." I say smiling as I hand out a plate full of food to the next person in line.

Lisa smiles as she begins to pass the drinks out and I pass the food out with a smile as I walk through the hall.

I'm currently working overtime in a soup kitchen for the homeless, one of my many side jobs I do to get by, this one being the most precious to me as everyone here is so nice and kind to me, and I feel like I'm making a change in the lives of people I speak to here, I have made many friends and met multiple people from all backgrounds as I listen to their stories with a full heart.

It doesn't pay me much but this isn't all about the money, I have been in the exact same place as the people here, I just barely got me and my brother, Max, a place of our own instead of a shelter. 

If I can help someone, even just a little that is worth more to me than a paycheck.

I smile widely as I walk up to a bunch of men in rags as they wave at me and smile at me with their crooked teeth. "Rosie, shouldn't you be at home?" Rey asks me worriedly and I nod shly, passing him a plate with a beef sandwich and fruit. 

"How is little Max? Doing ok in school?" Simon asks and I nod smiling widely.

I hold the empty tray against my chest. "He's doing really well adjusting, I was really worried he wouldn't make friends but.. he is thriving." I say with a smile on my lips and the man grins with a satisfied nod.

My phone beeps and I see a text from the babysitter, crap! "I have to go now guys, I'll see you all next week?" I ask hopeful as they all give me thumbs up with a cheeky grin, making me giggle.

"Of course, best sandwiches in town! Now go, be careful, it's getting dark Rosie girl." Roy says warningly and I laugh softly.

I give him a look and chuckle. "Always am! Goodnight guys, see you next week." I say with a wave and a smile as they all say 'goodnight' and 'take it easy' to me as I walk away with a warm smile on my face.

Looking over to Lisa I catch her attention as I zip up my coat and wave goodbye to her as she sits with a woman and her two children as Lisa speaks comfortingly to them. She waves me goodbye and I turn to leave the soup kitchen into the cold air of new york.

It's raining and freezing, I blow on my hands and see my breath in the air.

I need to get back to Max before the babysitter gets any more upset, I'm already an hour late.

Catching a cap almost instantly I give him my address as I sit back and release a tired sigh, I am beyond exhausted from the longest day I have had in a while, knowing I can't relax as tomorrow is going to be just as bad as I need to be awake in six hours for work at the diner.

Closing my eyes for a second I hear the taxi driver say we are here and I rub my eyes as I try to open them, noticing as I look outside the window that we are outside the building I now live at.

I pay the cab driver and get out, making my way to the front door and opening it.

It's quiet and I don't see the babysitter anywhere in sight, frowning I walk through the dark-lit apartment, I hear the television in my bedroom on and I walk towards my room.

I see Max wrapped up in my bed, his curly messy hair covering his face, he turns and smiles widely, showing the missing front tooth. "Rose!" He says excitably as he jumps off the bed, his tiny legs running up to me and hugging me tightly.