9. Home strike

Austin Silver POV

As I button up the last of my jacket, I stand in front of the mirror and look at myself one last time before I leave the room with my belongings. 

This is going to feel different. 

I have been in this prison willingly for over three years on the down-low, I had my reasons, reasons not even my own men know about, not even my cozy roommate Danny had a clue.

My situation can't be explained without guns being raised, the only ones that know about my true intentions inside the prison are very dangerous individuals. 

This operation runs completely off the grid and normal life after this is completely not possible for someone like me, I knew that the moment I got into this life, nothing after this is going to make me any less of a wanted man.

The truth is, this life is all I know, mundane things like being a family man has ever appealed to me, never has nor I doubt it ever will, if it ever did, getting out of this life is impossible, I've seen countless men and women in this life risk it all for themselves and their families, but in the end it doesn't mean shit, this life gets you one way or another and someone dies.

A knock at the door pulls me from my thoughts and I see one of my men open the door. "We ready boss." 

I make my way out of the room and head towards the car waiting for me in front of the prison outside the prison gates. Inmates watch from the yard as I make my way into my limo, their faces filled with expressions I am used to.

Anger, resentment, and jealousy.

Three very powerful emotions that can cause any man or woman to commit a crime, ruin someone's life and their own, I know these emotions all too well.

The door shuts and the car starts, I sit back I glance to the side of me and as instructed, there sits a brand new smartphone and a cheeseburger from my favorite burger joint.

Digging into my burger as I wait for the phone to open, I can't help but let my mind wander to the mysterious young woman I can't seem to leave alone, quite literally, I gave the fucking girl a house and masked it as a job.

I had no idea how to do this properly without seeming like a complete dick so I employed her in this new property I bought, which originally was for me to escape the city life but I had my people and lawyers to transfer ownership to Rose Clark.

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing anymore, I've never even met the woman and I fucking hate kids, but somewhere deep down inside of me felt sick at the thought of her back on the streets.

The moment I laid my eyes on her photograph it burned a hole in my head and ever since I can't stop worrying about her and her brother without a roof over their heads.

I suppose she reminds me of a young me, living on the streets, working yourself up. It's the hard life and not everyone comes out squeaky clean, I've seen that happens to girls like her and small boys like Max, it's not pretty, gangs swoop in early and turn your whole life upside down until the drugs take you.

That shit is never going to happen, not in my fucking life.

I tap on the glass in front of me to alert my driver. "Où est mademoiselle Rose Clark?"

(Where's miss Rose Clark?)

"Shopping Monsieur, avec Stev et Mike." He replies and I sit back and search for her number.

(Shopping Sir, with Stev and Mike)

Fuck it, time to meet the woman I've been intrigued by, I click on her name and begin to type a text, my hands beginning to sweat as I type.