34. Addition To The Family

I rode in silence on the plane back to New York. Peter, Steve, Bucky, Bruce, and Clint were all in the plane and we were filthy and covered in dirt, ash, and blood. No one spoke, not a word was exchanged between all of us. We were exhausted. The last day and half was spent sleepless, constantly fighting and running around, and full of too much for any one person to process.

I was laid down on my side and my head was in Bucky's lap. He was softly stroking my hair as I laid there. He probably thought I was asleep, but my mind was busy and clustered with thoughts. I craved sleep, the last time I did sleep I hadn't slept well as it was.

I felt the plane land and I sat up softly to see the sunset over the horizon of the city. We landed on top of the Avenger Tower from what I could see out of the window. Everyone looked half awake as they realized we had made it. Bucky's hand went to the back of my head and he pulled me in softly. He kissed the top of my head and I leant into him.

We exited the plane and I felt a wave of calmness wash over me. I was back where my journey had started all those years ago. I was happy to be back after not being here for so long, but not having all my people didn't help with all that.

"I need to go find Mindy and Pepper." I said softly to Bucky as we walked inside.

"That's where we were headed." He said grabbing my hand.

I followed him to an elevator and we went down to the parking garage. He directed me to a car and he got in and started the car up. I got in the passenger seat and we pulled out and onto the streets of New York. It was overly busy and I'm sure that was due to the fact people were looking for their families who had been newly returned. I had missed the city frankly, but my mind was filled with the thought of Pepper.

We pulled into Stark Tower and this place hadn't changed a bit. As soon as we were parked I jumped out of the car. Bucky chased after me as I made my way up to the lab. I nearly was sent running to the glass to see her. He however, stayed back and spoke to Sam who was already here and looked to be wrapped up in bandages.

She laid out on a bed and I saw a few workers surrounding her. She looked fine. Other than her sleeping, she looked healed and fine. Whatever they were doing they looked calm, but I couldn't tell what was going on. I was so confused, but before I knew it Mindy was at my side.

"How is she?" I asked anxiously.

"He vitals are perfectly fine, her injuries are being healed, but the blunt force trauma her head went through is causing issues." She said crossing her arms and looking to the ground.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Her mind is in a coma-stasis, she's reluctant to any drugs we give her. I don't have many answers for you at a moment, but she is alive and stable." Mindy said calmly but I could see she was upset. "I wish I understood more, but it's going to take a lot more testing."

"No one would understand this more than you, thank you Mindy. For everything." I said shaking my head.

"It's exactly why I wish I knew more." She said as he head lowered.

I saw doctors and nurses rushing around trying to treat those that had been brought her after the battle. So many faces I hadn't seen in so long now here in front of me. Most of which were roughened up but alive. That's all I could ask for given everything else I had just lost.

"If you want to come in I can see about fixing that gash on your cheek." She said bringing me back to reality.

"You've got your hands full as it is." I said laughing weakly. "I'll throw a bandaid on it and call it day."