~16~

*three days later*

                Hazel was tired, tired of fighting, tired of being injected with things that made her feel like crap, and tired of being let down.  Over the last few days she'd counted a total of 12 injections that had gone into her arm, that was all she knew about though, there could be more.  Some of them made her black out but some of them made her feel sad and tired, she didn't know what was in them, but she didn't like it and the result was showing the bad things it was doing to her body.  She hadn't talked to anyone in a few hours so she rolled up her sleeve and saw the track marks on her arm, god, she knew what it was like dealing drugs but not once did she ever think about taking them, yet here she is, being forced into it. Like everything in her life.

                     She needed to get out of here, she needed an escape route.  She took this opportunity to gather up her last remaining energy and stood up on the bed before smashing the window above her and dragging herself out of it, not really caring about the cuts she was giving herself.  She heard the bedroom door fly open behind her and a hand grab her foot.  She groaned and kicked her feet around as hard as she could, she must've kicked the person in the face or something since they winced and let go.  She got up off the floor and ran for her life, she ran down the street as fast as she could and never stopped running  until she was on a familiar street.

~~~~~~~

                   Emily had suffered enough, she couldn't cope anymore so she grabbed her phone and jacket then left her house and began walking to the 21st district to talk to the detective who went undercover with her class a few months ago.  It only took her a few minutes edits she found herself running up the steps of the precinct.  She wandered up to the front desk and smiled at the older lady, "hey kiddo, how can I help you?" Trudy smiled down at her.  Emily nodded, "please can I talk to detective halstead?" She smiled shyly.  Trudy nodded, "you sure can, let me page him" she smiled.  Emily nodded as the desk Sargent pages jay from the phone under her desk.  Trudy nodded, "he's coming down in a minute sweetheart, you can sit on the bench for now" she smiled.  Emily nodded and obeyed as she waited and waited. 

                     Jay ran downstairs and saw a familiar face, "Em? Hey, everything alright?" He walked over to her.  Emily stood up and shook her head, "I think hazels in trouble..." she looked up at him.  Jay frowned and sat down with her, "how'd you mean?" He nodded.  Emily sighed, "well, she hasn't been to school in over a week and she hadn't talked to anyone at all. I asked her mom about it and she said she's just at summer camp, but hazel never mentioned anything like that to me, and I don't know if I'm overthinking this but somethings off..." she spoke shakily.  Jay placed a hand on her shoulder, "no, you absolutely did the right thing by telling me. How about you go home, and I'll go check it out okay?" He smiled.  Emily nodded, "thanks..." she stood up.  Jay watched her leave before running upstairs to grab Haileys attention.

Jay sighed, "Emily's just told me hazel hasn't been to school in a week and she hasn't talked to anyone at all. Apparently Stacey said she's at summer camp but Emily isn't convinced. I just wanna check it out, is that fine with you?" He nodded. Hailey nodded back, "of course it is, let's go" she grabbed her things and followed jay out into his truck where he drove them both to staceys house in hopes that she or her husband would be home so they could find out where hazel is and clear any confusion in the air.

~~~~~~~~

Hazel ran into a Main Street, she knew this road, she looked to her left and saw the turn off which was right around the corner from the 21st district. She immediately began running in that direction and in a matter of 2 minutes she found herself stood in the station reception. Trudy looked up from her paperwork to see a young girl, battered and bruised, covered in dirt and shaking stood in the doorway, "woah honey, come here. What happened to you?" She ran out from behind the front desk and lead the young girl over to the bench. Hazel sat down with the help of Trudy but she couldn't speak, there was something stopping her. It wasn't like a physical thing preventing her speech, it was more of a rational fear of snitching on people again, look where that got her last time... She was paralysed from fear.

Trudy placed a hand on the girls back but she flinched and made her breathing pick up so she removed her hand, "alright, I'm just gonna go over to the desk and make a quick phone call okay?" She smiled sadly then got up. Once again hazel said nothing and just stared at the wall, her hands rested on the bench either side of her. Trudy watched the young girl in worry as she dialled jays number, he picked up within two rings.
Jay: "halstead"
Trudy: "jay did you say you were going to do a wellness check on the young girl from that tough case a while back?"
Jay: "yeah we're looking around the premises now but it doesn't look like anyone's home"
Trudy: "well you might wanna get back to the district, I think she's sat on the bench right now"
Jay: "what? Hazel is? Is she okay?"
Trudy: "she's far from okay but she's not talking. Maybe you can get through to her"
Jay: "we're on our way..."

About 5 minutes later jay and hailey ran into the reception of the precinct and looked around, jay immediately saw hazel sat on the bench looking extremely injured, Trudy nodded so he approached her and sat down next to hazel carefully. He quickly took a look over her body for any injuries that could be life threatening but what he couldn't see was the damage done to her insides more so, "hey haz, it's me jay. Can you tell me what happened?" He kept his eyes forward, he didn't want to scare her since she seemed to be in shock or something. Hazel stayed quiet, "hazel kiddo, can you talk to me?" He added. Hailey approached slowly and sat down on the other side of the bench.

Jay nodded at his partner so he looked behind the kid, when he saw a fair amount of blood on the back of her shirt his eyes widened. He slowly reached his left hand backwards and gently lifted up the bottom of her shirt but he was soon stopped by hazels hand which gripped onto his wrist extremely tightly, extremely fearful, she didn't even know where she was anymore. She let her body tremble as she turned her head to finally look at him, his face was full of worry as he sat there completely still, her hand still gripping onto his wrist, "hazel, we're gonna get you to med okay?" He nodded as he saw the sheer terror in her eyes. Whatever this kids just been through it's clearly taken all sense of reality away from her. She kept her gaze on him at all times as he stood up and walked over to the front desk.

She hadn't spoken once and she didn't plan on speaking, she was traumatised, "alright haz can you walk?" He wakes back over to her. She couldn't even understand what he was saying, it all sounded like a jumbled mess, she looked up to him and just stared at him in confusion and shock as hailey stood next to him, "you think she's drugged up?" She whispered to him. Jay nodded, "maybe" he whispered back. He crouched down to get a better look at her but she followed his every move with her eyes, "let's get you to the hospital yeah?" He placed one hand under her knees and the other behind her back as he scooped her off the bench. She instantly flinched and let out a small groan of pain mixed with fear, "it's okay, I'm not gonna hurt you. You're okay now..." he sped up his pace since he could feel that hazel was about to leap out of his arms out of pure fear.

                    Hailey opened the back of her car door as he slid inside just in time since hazel jumped out of his arms and landed in the middle seat.  She went to make a runner but hailey shut the door and jay pulled her back, "woah, hey, shhhhh. Calm down, you're safe haz, you're okay..." he restrained her arms since she was gonna end up hurting herself.  She tried getting out of his grip a few times but soon realised that he wasn't going to hurt her and settled down into his arms, "that's it, there you go just relax" he held her still as hailey began driving to med.  Emily was right, something was most certainly not okay...