~17~

They walked into med, luckily this time hazel stayed calm in his arms but she still stared at him.  She gave him confused glares as if she didn't know who he was, jay could see her out of the corner of his eyes, but he didn't care, he just wanted to get her better so he could find out what the hell happened to make her like this.  Maggie pointed to a room so he walked inside and placed her onto the bed, she stiffened up and looked around as dr Charles and dr Marcel walked into the room, "give her 5 of tramadol" dr charles ordered to dr Marcel.  As dr Marcel pulled out the needle hazel looked over at it and jumped out of the way, "no!" She begged and began shaking uncontrollably, pushing everyone out of her personal bubble.  Jay caught her as she nearly fell of the bed.  Dr Marcel pulled away and put the needle behind him as dr Charles stepped up, "alright okay hazel, we're not gonna give you it. Can you sit up for me?" He helped jay get her back on the bed.

She sat on the bed but looked around in fear as she brought her knees up to her chest, "check her arm" dr Charles mouthed to the physician next to her on the other side of the bed. Dr Marcel nodded and quickly rolled up her messed up sleeve to reveal the painful looking track marks on her arm, hazel winced in pain and fear, "no please don't..." she begged and threw her head in her hands, she thought he was going to inject her with some form of drug again. Dr Charles looked at the trio in the room and waved them outside, "it looks like she's a victim of drug trafficking, how longs she been gone for?" He nodded as they all kept an eye on her. Jay folded his arms, "just over a week" he sighed sadly, he should've noticed, he sighed again, mentally cursing himself... Dr Charles nodded, "well at the moment it looks like she's going through a withdrawal and if she's not letting us administer pain meds we can only let it happen for now. We'll figure it out" he smiled weakly.

They all nodded, "it doesn't look like she's craving whatever drug she's been having which is good, but I'd advise if one of you could stay and help her get through it for now. I'll need to see where she is with the trauma side when she's feeling better" dr Charles looked at the detectives. Hailey looked at jay, "you stay, I'll go update hank" she smiled and nodded. Jay nodded back, "sure, what've I gotta do?" He looked at the doctors as his partner walked away. Dr Charles nodded, "c'mon I'll show you. You just need to hold her down slightly, and be there for her. If you sit behind her on the bed and let her lay back she might ease down a bit" the pair walked back into the room.

Jay sat down on the bed as hazel squirmed around in pain, everything was hurting her and it broke his heart. Dr Charles helped hazel rest against jay as the detective wrapped his arms around her gently, she couldn't stay still for more then 2 seconds without tossing and turning. Jay kept rubbing his hand over her hair in calming motions, just hoping she was feeling some kind of emotional support from him being there, "ahh!" She cried out. Dr Charles shook his head, "hey hazel, can you look at me? If we give you this medicine it'll make the pain go away, can we give it to you?" He saw the pain and fear on her face. She nodded and groaned in pain as jay held her down while dr Charles injected her with a liquid form of pain killers, she instantly felt the pain die down and she could relax a little.

Jay nodded at the psychiatrist as the teenager relaxed into his arms, "shhhh, that's it. I'm right here haz, I've got you" he stroked her hair again. Whatever happened to her had clearly taken away all sense of humanity from her. He stayed with her like this for another half an hour before she fell asleep which gave him chance to get up and move around to get a coffee. Dr Charles and jay walked down to the cafeteria to grab a coffee while April and Doris kept a close eye on hazel, "so we managed to get a blood sample from her, she's had ketamine laced with fentanyl pushed into her system. And from the amount of track marks on her arm it looks like it's been a daily occurrence" dr Charles grabbed them both a coffee before they at down.

Jay sighed sadly, "so what does this mea now?" He nodded weakly, almost feeling hazels pain, "well when she's sobered up a bit I'll have a chat with her and see if she can tell us what happened. After that I'll take her up to the psych ward where I can keep a closer eye on her. She's gonna need a lot of therapy and possibly even rehab if the drugs have had that much of a toll on her" dr Charles nodded supportively. Jay rubbed his chin, "have you contacted her mom yet?" Dr Charles added. Jay shook his head, "no, but we're pretty sure she's involved somehow" he sighed. Dr Charles nodded, "right, okay. Well you're more than welcome to sit in with me while I have a chat with her. It might save her the trauma of having to live through what happened twice if she'll speak" he sighed weakly. Jay nodded, "yeah..." they began walking back.

They approached the room once again and this time saw hazel sat up with her legs crossed just staring at the space in front of her. They entered the room but her eye like stayed the same, "let's have a little chat hazel, I think it'd be a good idea to talk about what happened don't you?" Dr Charles asked her softly as the pair dragged seats up on both side of the hospital bed. Hazel remained mute, "did someone do this to you?" He asked again. Hazel stayed still and quiet, "can you hear me hazel?" He just double checked that she was on planet earth. She nodded ever so slightly but stayed quiet. Dr Charles shook his head at jay so the pair left the room. The doctor nodded, "she's in shock and she's clearly traumatised, I think its gonna take a day or two to even get a word out of her never mind an explanation" he smiled sadly. Jay nodded, "so we just wait?" He enquired. Dr Charles nodded, "pretty much" he sighed.

                      Hazel was now fully sober but she still felt terrified to talk, it was almost as if she was scared to breathe even.  She felt like if she opens her mouth even the slightest bit the men would attack her for being a snitch, "how you holding up haz?" Hailey walked into the room with jay as she held out a colorimg book since dr Charles said it might soothe her mind.  Hazel followed their movements as they sat down, "fancy some crafts?" The blonde detective held up the book and crayons.  Hazel just nodded with no emotion on her face so hailey placed the book in front of her as the pair watched her pick crayons out of the box with her shaky hands and began coloring.  She was really trying to stay within the lines but failed miserably when her shaky hand became too shaky.  She set the crayon down and felt her chest tightness expand up to her throat.

                      Jay stood up as it was evident she was having a panic attack so he ran out of the room and waved dr Charles over, "okay hazel, look at me. Nice deep breaths, in for 4 out for 2, that's it keep taking big deep breaths for me" dr Charles stood in front of her as her breathing calmed down.  She let her breath remain shallow but grabbed the doctors hand, "riverside..." is all she managed to say before she laid down and covered her whole body with the blanket, probably hoping that no one could see her.  Dr Charles furrowed her brows, he heard the kid say the name of a homeless shelter downtown here in Chicago, the trio walked outside and left hazel to remain in hiding as they talked.  He sighed, "she said riverside, does that mean anything to you?" He folded his arms.

Hailey nodded, "yeah isn't that the homeless shelter on wabash? Pretty sure it just got busted for drugs a few weeks ago" she looked at jay. Jay nodded, "do you think she's maybe trying to tell us that's where she was?" He folded his arms and looked back over his shoulder to see hazel still sat under the blanket hiding herself away. Dr Charles nodded, "I mean, it seems that way, but she's still not talking so we've still gotta wait for the truth. You guys are more than welcome to take it as that's what she meant, she's just trapped in her own mind at the minute" he frowned. Jay nodded, "alright, we'll check it out" he looked at hailey. Dr Charles stood behind his desk as he watched the young girl hide away on her own, he needed her to be fully calm before she starts talking so he wanted to wait.