Chapter 2: The Final Exams: Intro

March 1st

The class was silent. Chabashira-sensei was standing in front of us and fiddling with her tablet. The screen behind her flashed white but there was nothing written there. Putting down the tablet on the table in front of her, she spoke.

"First allow me to commend you all. Well done."

That was the first thing that came out of her mouth.

"In this school, the students of Class D are defectives who are not fit to be thrown into the society. And every year, they proved that they really were the defectives. But for the first time, I felt like this Class D was different. And you have proved that in the various exams you had undergone. You even managed to reach Class C twice. That is something no other Class D has ever managed to attain. You may be sad that you started with 40 students and are now down to 35. That is something you should be proud of. No Class D has managed to prevent this many expulsions. In the years before, there were more expulsions than this. And let me tell you, no matter what the final results are, you will be remembered as my best students forever."

She said that with a genuine smile on her face. And she was being honest about it. We had started with 40 students and now there were only 35 desks in the classroom. But as she said, it was something we should be proud of. In the previous years, the number of expulsions was far higher than this. But no matter what you try to say, there would be students like Yousuke and Honami who won't be happy about this fact. They wanted all of them who had started together with them, to reach the finish line together as well. But they also knew that it was impossible. They were definitely sad but they also knew that they had to move on. That was what the countless hurdles of this school had taught them.

"I will also remember you, Sae-chan-sensei!"

Ike raised his voice saying that and the atmosphere in the classroom was eased a bit.

"Now then, let us move towards the topic of the special exam. As every year, the final special exam will require you to show a culmination of everything that you have learned up until now, including knowledge, physical ability and cooperation, and maybe a little bit of luck as well. You are all third years so you are more or less familiar with how the final examinations are. But this year, it will be a bit different."

The students were slightly anxious about how the exam was going to be different. But they also kept their composure. They had gone through many exams and now they knew how to handle these types of situations. Like a battle-hardened veteran.

"This year the exam will be conducted in two phases or in simpler terms you will have to go through two different exams. One is mainly based on the physical abilities and the other on showing off your academic abilities."

There will be two exams and that will be combined and referred to as the final examination. In the previous years, only one special exam was conducted and that must have raised issues of being unjust. After all, it was difficult to incorporate both the physical and academic parameters equally in one single examination. Or maybe there was some other reason for this. Let's stop this pointless thinking here and focus on what the exams are.

Chabashira fiddled with her tablet and letters floated on the white screen.

The first thing we saw was the word 'Team Triathlon.'

Turning her attention back onto us, Chabashira spoke.

"As I said before there would be two different examinations. And one among them is 'The Team Triathlon.' I believe you are all aware of what a triathlon is."

She asked us and the one to answer confidently was Sudou.

"Of course we do. It is a multisport race consisting of swimming, cycling, and running over various distances."