Part 1

When I entered the room, Sakayanagi was already seated on a chair. A chessboard was in front of her, with the pieces arranged neatly.

"Welcome, Ayanokoji-kun."

She bowed her head in greeting and so did I in return.

"What did you want to talk about?"

"No need to rush. Why don't you sit and have a chess match with me?"

I sat directly across her and immediately after she advanced her pawn to E4.

I deployed my pawn to C5 to counter.

We continued playing in silence. The match was intense.

I am the type to go on the offensive from the beginning and I did the same today as well without holding back. However, her defenses were equally amazing. It was almost as if an impenetrable wall was built around her king.

Slowly but surely, I was getting the upper hand and the match was now almost in my control.

For some reason, the player in front of me, giggled. "Fufu. Just like in this exam."

"What?"

"I mean, the board is in your control, just like how this exam was in your control the whole time." She said.

"The moment you got the privilege, the exam was as good as over,"

"To think you would choose something like that as a privilege." She said as if she knew exactly what the privilege I chose was. I decided to ask her.

"Why do you think so?"

"You met with Ryuen-san and Katsuragi-kun one day before the exam and offered him a privilege in exchange for the private points. Judging from how the class's average point differed from what I expected, the privilege must have been something along the lines of: decrease the obtained average points by about 50 points." She continued.

"However, Class A also received a privilege that said, 'Increase your average class points by 50.' I was aware you had already given a privilege to Class C then why did you still manage to give another privilege to Class A?" She smiled before answering, "It's because you had the privilege to choose multiple privileges."

Although she wasn't exactly correct, she wasn't that far off the mark as well.

"But, Ayanokoji-kun, you had multiple privileges at your disposal. I get not providing any to Class B as they are your enemy, but why you didn't use it for your own class?"

She was implying that if I wanted to, I could have managed to pull Class D all the way to the top-to Class A.

"I used the privilege only to settle scores with you two, not to interfere with the class battles. Besides, if I had interfered without giving prior knowledge to her, Horikita would have killed me."

"Fufu. I see."

Apparently, she got the joke.

I had known from the start that these two would be trying something to sabotage me in this exam.

I did all that so I could settle scores with them without getting in the way of the class battles.

When I gave that privilege to Ryuen, I had set some conditions to its uses-It can only be used against one individual and two classes.

Ryuen wanted to reach Class A. So, he would definitely use that against Class A. Class B didn't have particularly dangerous privilege as they didn't gain points. To entertain himself, he used that privilege against Class D that resulted in Class D failing to obtain the average scores at first.