Chapter 3: Preparations are Underway: Intro

March 8th

A total of one hundred and fifty students were assembled in the gymnasium. There were few instructors standing before us as we all sat down cross-legged on the floor. I scanned my surroundings. On my right were students from Class B and Class C. Ichinose was sitting there with a smile on her face and Ryuen with his haughty grin was sitting beside Katsuragi. On the right side were the students of Class A. Sakayanagi was sitting on a chair with a smug smile on her face.

"Attention everyone!"

The homeroom teacher of third-year Class A, Mashima-sensei spoke to all of us.

"You all have been informed beforehand that you will get to practice for your upcoming exam for two periods on a daily basis. For that, you will be able to use two gymnasiums and two swimming pools. Classes A and C will be using gymnasium number one and classes B and D will be using gymnasium number two. The same applies to the swimming pool. Classes A and C will be using the first pool and classes B and D will be using the second pool. If you need any equipment for your practice, you can ask your homeroom teacher. I hope there is no problem so far."

No one raised any questions.

"Good. Remember that this will be your final special exam in this school. Give your best and prove your mettle! That's all!"

With few words of motivation, he finished his explanations.

The students got up and started assembling in groups discussing whatever they had in their mind with their circle of friend. Amidst that, a certain student from Class B approached Horikita.

"Seems like we will be practicing together."

"Seems so."

To the gentle Ichinose, Horikita replied in her usual harsh tone. Though she didn't seem to mind that. She was now used to her way of talking as they had worked together for about two years together in the student council.

"Yo, Suzune. Pumped up, are we?"

"You aren't welcomed here, Ryuen-kun."

"Heh, how harsh. Well, I wasn't here for you anyway."

He passed Horikita and approached me.

"Feeling arrogant after that last win, eh?"

Everyone's eyes were fixed on the two of us. They couldn't process what we were talking about. I just decided to stay quiet so as to not draw any more attention.

"The strong do not talk to the weak, I suppose. If you really are that confident, then why don't you take me on again?"

This time he lowered his voice so that no one other than me could hear. So, he came here to provoke me? He should know that it was useless. But it was just like him, trying to pressure the opponent. But he knew I wasn't going to fight against him again. I had already settled that a while back.

"Tch, speak something, will ya'?"

The lack of response from me must have pissed him.

I inched a bit closer and spoke to his years.

"As long as you have enough points, you can reach Class A easily, you know."

"Kuku. You bastard."

He understood that I knew what he was trying to do. But how much he actually understood this will be proved in the future.

"It seems I won't be able to partake in this. Please make sure to enjoy this without me."

Clicking her cane, Sakayanagi approached us.

"Don' you worry. I will make sure that y'all get crushed."

With his declaration, Ryuen silently went out of the gymnasium and the rest of Class C followed as well. Before leaving, Hiyori gave me a smile and a bow which I replied by bowing slightly as well.

"Well, best of luck, Ayanokoji-kun."

Sakayanagi, followed by Hashimoto, Kamuro, and Kitou, exited the scene as well.

"Aren't you quite popular with them?"

Eyeing me with a narrowed gaze, Horikita approached me. I decided to poke her a bit.

"No, no. I am nowhere near as popular as the Student Council Presi- Ouch!"

Horikita didn't let me completely and stomped on my feet with quite a force. It really hurt.

"I am no longer the President you know. And even if I were, then why would you ever call me that? Are you courting death?"

"No. I'm sorry."

It was a mistake for me to try anything funny with her. One couldn't tell when actually she will kill me. I would prefer it when at least I was awake. But knowing her, it wouldn't be surprising if she were to kill me when I was unconscious, for example, when I was sleeping. Oh, scary.

"As long as you understand."

With that Horikita went past me and gathered the students of Class D for practice. It was time for the preparations to start.

Note:

Bad news! It was announced today we will be having exams after a week. I haven't prepared any notes so I am in for great trouble.

During this two-week period, I won't be able to write new chapters.

But don't worry. I have about 5 or 6 parts in my drafts so I will continue posting them! And the rest, only after the exams finish.