I.... Did it?

Oh no. Red alarms flared in my head. Big trouble. I was in big trouble! My heart started to hammer inside my chest as I just stared at the scene in front of me, fear flaring in my chest.

Caedmon sensed that the papers were upsetting me and he jumped off my shoulder into the pile of paper, snarling and scratching with his little claws, sending the paper into a crumpled mess.

“Caedmon!” I hissed and without thinking about it, I slapped him like he was a bad cat. I hit him a bit harder than I meant, though and he was sent reeling off the bed. I didn’t give him a second glance as I quickly gathered up the paper, straightening them the best I could. My heart was ramming against my rib cage like it wanted to be free of this doomed body. My sweaty fingers fumbled with the papers, shoving them in, and pushing the corners down that were sticking out. I inhaled shakily. What was I going to do?

I stopped and looked around the room wildly. Everyone was already asleep, and I could only see one pair of glowing eyes, they were silver, and by the way there was a silver shine on the wall, whoever it was was looking straight up. I self consciously shoved the folder under the blankets. Who could have done this?

Jonathan, the fire punk? But no, he wasn’t that smart. How about a metal head? Nah, they wouldn’t go through all this trouble just to frame me, would they?

Would they?

I exhaled shakily. I knew things weren’t so smooth with General Landin, but he would believe me right? I mean, if I just came out and told him what happened?

I slowly laid down in bed as Caedmon hopped back up on the bed, his eyes glowing a sad purple. He whined and nosed my shoulder, his tail not swishing for once.

“You better pray that we get out of this one,” I whispered to him as I scooped him up and pulled him close to myself, rolling over in bed with a huge sigh. “Or we’re in huge trouble.”

That whole night I couldn’t sleep, my stomach in knots and adrenaline slowly dying in my bloodstream. My mind was racing, thinking of every single suspect there possibly could be. Finally when I started suspecting the suspicious lunch lady I was knocked out.

Far too soon, I was woken up by the alarm and all my nervousness and adrenaline flooded back into my body. Caedmon woke and stretched, his front paws thrust in front of him and his butt high in the air, his tongue curling in a yawn. His tiny black wings spread like an umbrella, and I swore I could see hints of purple and green in the scales.  Any other day I would have smiled at this cute stretch, but today I wasn’t in the mood. I grabbed my change of clothes and Caedmon, smashing the pillow on top of the paperwork, and shoved my way quickly to the bathroom.

The sooner I got this done the better.

As I took the quickest shower ever, Caedmon just plopped on the tile by my feet and pawed at my skinny white legs, wanting to be picked up. His deer-like ears twitched and he let out a small whine.

“Not now, bud.” I said as I scrubbed my scalp, my fingers raking across my skin.

“Juzzin,” Caedmon huffed, poutily. He smacked the water, making a surprisingly loud sound.

I looked down to see he was glaring up at me. That adorable pouty face was starting to make me cave but I blinked hard and turned away, closing my eyes to get under the stream of water.

“Juzzin!” Caedmon growled as best as he could. “JUZZIN! JUZZIN!” Soon his voice became an all out wail when he found I wasn’t listening to him. I quickly swooped him up, embarrassed that probably everyone in the whole shower area had heard his squeaky cry for me. I gripped him so that his forearms were splayed and his back curved and hind paws pushed at my chest. He squeaked angrily and squiggled. “Juzzin,” he said again, sniffling when some water sprayed on him. His rib cage shivered in a sneeze.