Lies and Darkness

(unedited sorry wrote this late night so it may be crappy)

Say something I’m giving up on you…

My mind blanked. Went down on shut-down mode. All operations going on in this skull of mine totally ceased fire. I did it? But I didn’t do it? Did I? Maybe I didn’t know what I did… maybe I’m the enemy…

It was like I was trying to make a strained phone call to my brain trying to get it to work again and all that was happening was this dumb old music. Or satirical.

I’ll be the one if you want me to…

Then that little voice, the voice that was probably the only thing that was going to keep me from losing it, came into my mind, clear as day. Justin. You didn’t do it.

I looked down to find Caedmon looking earnestly up at me, a paw pressed to my chest and his ears pulled back as those big purple eyes became glassy with emotion. I knew he could sense my distress and I could see by the way he was shaking that he was feeling it too.

I felt a wave of sorrow as I scooped him up in my arms. It wasn’t his fault… I wish that he didn’t have to be so scared so young. My little buddy nuzzled into my elbow, his paws wrapping around me in a hug.

“Justin!” A hard, meaty smack aroused me from my reflections as Landin smacked his hand on the wooden desk. “Are you listening to me?”

“N-no, s-sorry,” I said, looking up at his angry Wolverine face. “I-I don’t know who did it. B-but I swear it wasn’t me.”

Mardu walked over to stand in front of me and I blinked, feeling like I was seeing double when I looked at the two of them. A long, forked tongue emerged from between his slim lips and curled up like a question mark before flitting back into his mouth. “Either you’re a very good actor or you’re telling the truth,” he mumbled, his golden eyes burning into mine.

“I’m telling the truth,” I said, feeling like a deflated balloon as I leaned back in my chair and ran a hand through my jet black hair.

“He tellin’ troof!” Caedmon agreed, glaring at the two and stomping a paw on my knee. His back arched to make himself appear larger and his tiny fangs showed in a snarl.

“Then there’s only one other person it could have been..” General Landin drawled, side-glancing at Mardu with a knowing expression.

“What? I have an evil twin?” I blurted.

“No. Caedmon did it,” Mardu said grimly, his fangs flashing as he spoke.

I gawked at him for a full minute as if he suggested a llamacorn broke in with an army of ninja rainbow slugs. “Wut?” I said stupidly. That made zero sense. No sense. Caedmon was a little baby dragon, he wasn’t me and.. I wasn’t sure what to think right now.

Mardu cleared his throat. “It’s rare for dragons to shift at all, and even if they can, it takes much longer than a few months usually. But maybe you’re a special case. He knew that you wanted this, he got it.”

“B-but,” I managed before looking at Caedmon with bewilderment. He was with me the whole time how could he..?

Caedmon sat down and curled his tail around himself. What he said next made my jaw drop.

“I did it.”

I looked up at Mardu and General Landin with a completely shocked expression.

Landin actually seemed relieved and he exhaled as he slowly lowered into a crouch. “You realize you did something bad?” he asked as he reached out to stroke the dragon’s scaly head.