The Not So Fun Field Trip

I woke up the next morning, thankfully in my own bed. Caedmon evidently had been up most the night keeping me from falling between the cracks since he was flopped across my chest like a starfish. I smiled fondly at him and stroked his spine carefully, trying not to notice how heavy he was getting. "Thank you," I mumbled, kissing his little forehead.

The familiar morning routine soon ensued. I carefully lifted the sleepy dragon off my chest and set him on the bed. Usually he was a light sleeper, but today he was so exhausted he just began to snore, even as the morning bugle buzzed through the room. The hum of sleepy teens talking to one another was a calming backdrop as we shouldered our way into the bathroom to wash up. Now that the dragons were getting bigger, they were also becoming a bit more of a nuisance. I found a wyvern crouched on the sink, his wicked talons clutching the porcelain. He had my toothbrush clutched between his wing talons. My brows pinched as I stared at him. He didn't notice I was watching so he slowly lifted his wing to his mouth and jerked it back and forth slowly. Out of the corner of his eye I could tell he was watching his Rider, who was standing by the sink next to him. He was brushing his teeth. I'd think that would be hilarious if it wasn't my toothbrush. "I'm just going to have a yuck mouth today," I mumbled, turning around.

"Good morning! Good morning! Good morning!" Our little parrot, the lightning dragon was running around echoing the same phrase over and over. He sometimes would stop and look up at someone to say the phrase if he liked them. And if he didn't like them... "@$*@!" I yelped as he trotted over my foot and zapped me hard.   

"You kiss your mother with that mouth?" Merman spoke from behind me, Larissa around his neck. She was a bit bigger now and I blinked as she yawned and licked her slim snout, then her eyeball. Gross.

I pointed at him with a smile. "I get that reference."

He laughed. "We are the biggest nerds."

"Yes.. yes we are," I yawned. Man my breath did smell bad. I hoped no one would notice.

"How was last night? You didn't wake up anywhere crazy did ya?" he asked, stroking Larissa under her chin.

"Nowhere crazy.. just Jared Padalecki's house. We shared a cup of coffee," I shrugged with a smirk.

"No way..." he waved a hand, brushing it off. Then he paused. "You serious?"

"No," I laughed. "But your face was priceless right there." I pointed at his annoyed expression.

"Justin," a soft voice said behind me.

I turned to find Song- wait what was she doing here in the first year barracks? "Song?"

She smiled at me, but it looked strained. "Justin, the General has asked for you to come to his office with all your... things." I could swear I heard her voice crack.

"W-what?" I said, feeling sudden terror claw at my heart. My blood ran cold. "N-no." I whispered. It felt like my tongue had suddenly turned into a fat sausage.

"I'm sorry Justin," she said before she quickly walked off before she could have the decency to look sad.

Merman looked at me and I could tell he was barely keeping it together. "Maybe he's checkin' you for lice or something.." he said before shaking his head at how pathetic that sounded. "I'll help... yeah." He mumbled before crouching to gather up my things. I didn't have much. My sweatshirt and muscle t were all the clothes I had to my name. Other than that, all I had was Caedmon's little stash of goods. I slowly picked up Caedmon and held him to my chest as Merman handed me what little I had. "Good.. good luck man.." he said, patting my back. We looked at each other for a moment, then it struck me that this might be something serious. I might never see my best friend again.