Fire Riders can Fry Too

After we finish eating Emmit quickly takes off. "Hey guys love to chat about the new Transformers movie but I have to go," he says before dashing off.

"What's he doing?" I ask the others as I watch him haul butt.

Song snorks on her tator tot. "Haha his TV show is on tonight."

So we get TV here? That was a big plus. "What TV show?" I asked.

"Defenders of Berk," Song says and the others start to laugh. "He claims it's because Larissa has a crush on Toothless, but you should see the face he gets when he's watching it. He loves the TV show." She giggled.

I laughed along, offhandedly feeding Caedmon a sausage. I wasn't about to admit that I myself had watched it a time or two.

Eventually, one by one, people cleared off- Nathan dashing outside, Song going to take care of her dragon, and Brandon had to go to the bathroom, leaving me with Dustin. Not that I cared- Dustin was pretty freaking awesome but I was wondering if the others had left because they wanted to ditch me.

"Hey want to see my dragon? His name is Rayner." Dustin said finally as he threw the remnants of his meal away. If there was one thing Brandon could do- it was eat. I swear he ate more than the rest of us combined!

"That would be cool. Would you like to see him Cade?" I asked him as he gnawed on a tat or tot.

"Meep." He replied as he tried to chew it, which was cute in a weird sort of way.

"I'll take that as a yes," Dustin smiled and held out a hand, helping me up.

"Hey when will Caedmon learn how to talk?" I asked offhandedly.

"It depends. Song's took a month. Mine took three." He said, "their voices have to change because their vocal chords just aren't capable of speaking human."

Caedmon patted my cheek sadly as if he felt my disappointment.

"But that's not the only way they talk to you, don't worry. First they start out with mind pictures and feelings. I know it's frustrating to not be able to talk to each other yet but they learn fast, don't you worry," he said as he walked outside.

I shivered as I stepped out. It had to be forty degrees and the sun was setting behind the pine trees. The front lawn was clean and tidy like any other summer camp complete with a large wooden sign that read "Boys and Girls Scouts of America". Seriously?

Dustin winked at me before his eyes faded out. "Wait for it... One, two..."

Before he finished three an asteroid touched down, blasting me backwards until I landed flat on my back, Caedmon rolling on the grass with a scream. I looked up blearily to find a horse-sized brown dragon with heavy ram's horns and beady eyes looking at me like he was going to eat me. "You okay?" He asked in a husky voice, displaying jagged teeth.

I inched backwards. "Uh... Yeah."

"Sorry he's just learning how to fly," Dustin said, helping me up. "Rayner, this is Justin. Justin-Rayner."

"Uh hi," I said awkwardly.

"Hey Justin," he says sluggishly. "You smell like bacon. I like bacon."

"Uh... Thanks?" I said, backing up in case he was wondering if I tasted like bacon.

Dustin laughed softly and patted Rayner's thick neck. "Hehe what a funny joke, Rayner, now let's go get your scales clean. Come on Justin, I'll show you how to clean Caedmon's scales. He'll like it, I promise."