I see the light

I slunk back, instinctively trying to go back into the shadows as I was sardined in the growing mass of angry Riders. Caedmon stuck out his head to hiss at them, but a kitten sized dragon wasn't the most ferocious looking creature. I said my prayers as I prepared to turn into a Justin-sized punch bag.

Right as a big blonde Viking girl raised her arm to punch my face off, she was stopped by a strange electronic buzzing sound, like a lightbulb that was about to go out. I wasn't really concentrating on it- a dying lightbulb isn't exactly the top of my concern list right then. But everyone froze and turned to look at the overhanging light bulb with wide eyes.

Caedmon and I looked up too as I tried to sneak back while everyone was occupied. It started to glow.. brighter and brighter, almost singing my skin. A kid started to run for the exit before the light over him started to flicker and brighten too. Suddenly the lights everywhere were like floodlights beaming down at the group of teenagers, who cowered in fear. Suddenly that smooth, Jason Derulo voice I knew so well rippled through the walls. Mardu. "How long did you think you could keep this up without me knowing?" his words were smooth and even, as if he were mocking you in such a subtle way you almost didn't catch it.

The teenagers looked around wildly, trying to find the direction of the voice. Mardu chuckled. "You are in a world of trouble..." The lights glowed brighter and suddenly I caught a glimpse of sideburns and glasses. General Wolverine was walking through the group like a ghost- nobody seemed to see him- except me. He cleared his throat and continued. "Anyone not in the office in three is going to have their butts tanned, carrot style. Permanently." And then I realized. He had Mardu's voice!

The kids hustled out like a small stampede with him calmly standing in the middle of the masses. He was staring at me through those dark shades- I knew it by the way he made the hair on my neck stand up. I shrunk under his scrutiny, wishing to follow the kids but something in his stare kept me in place. Finally he turned to the ring, slipped in and picked up Tyler gingerly like a limp doll. "He's in bad condition." He muttered. "Ah.. Bobbie isn't going to be happy," he said, wiping hair out of Tyler's face. He slipped back out of the ring. "Come with me," he said, this time to me. "I know you can see me."

I trotted next to him, peeking over his muscular arms at Tyler. He looked like a mess. Blood dribbled down his chin, one of his eyes was swollen shut, and he already had angry purple bruises and his face and arms. "First few days here and he's already gotten himself beat up..." I heard General Landin whisper, still in Mardu's voice. "Just like his father."

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked.

He stopped so fast that I bumped into him. He narrowed his eyes, and I could have sworn I saw a forked tongue flick out from his parted lips. I froze, openmouthed as he said, "Where's Saber?" When I didn't reply he asked again, his words a growl. "I asked you a question, boy. Where is she?"

"I.. I don't know," I answered, a little afraid by his tone. Caedmon's purple eyes bugged as I squeezed him a little tightly.

"Saber! Ellirr. Akirr Gri!" he demanded in a guttural voice that sounded like a language a tiger would speak.

I heard a tiny meep in the corner, under a fold-up chair. General Landin's gaze settled on me and I could imagine the glare searing through my clothes. "Get Saber. Be careful with her or you'll deal with me. That's an order." He said coldly. "Meet me in my office."

I nodded dumbly as stumbled back to fetch her. She hobbled out from under the chair and I gasped. The tiny creature's wings were about shredded, she looked battered and bruised like she had fought alongside Tyler. Caedmon hopped off my arms and nuzzled her side worriedly, his large violet eyes full of concern. They meeped softly to each other and it killed me not to know what they were saying as Caedmon gently licked her wounds and she nudged him back. Suddenly it struck me when I gazed at Saber's tattered white scales and Caedmon's glossy ebony. They were like the dragon equivalent to Yin and Yang.