(Almost) Everything Is Explained

(So I might have been in a rush to finish this story up. If you think this is rushed, please tell me and I'll try to.. slow it down maybe? When I edit it. Anyway here's ANOTHER update today wooo)

I was snapped out of my misery when the train came to an abrupt halt and I fell off the bed to land harshly on my back. "Uh.. what.." I was sure that trains didn't stop that fast.. and I wouldn't be home this fast. This couldn't be normal. I cautiously got to my feet. "Hello? Anyone? Is everything okay?" I called, wiping my eyes and hoping I didn't look like Tobey Maguire after he cries. Which was definitely not the worst of my worries. I slowly turned the handle, surprised when the door opened easily.

I peeked out. "Hello?" My eyes widened as I saw a guard lying face-down on the floor. And I'm pretty sure he wasn't taking a nap. I inhaled sharply and stumbled backwards, falling on my butt.

"Oh I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare you," a deep voice that had a drawl reminiscent to Benedict Cumberbatch's Smaug drawl filled the air with its aloof sarcasm.

"Who is that?" I demanded.

"The Captain," the door opened wider and someone so big that he had to duck to fit in the doorway walked inside.

Literally the first thing I thought was- Thor. This guy looked like a Viking. Long blonde hair dipped in front of his eyes before he straightened. He had the muscular build of a god, I could tell even through that huge parka he had on. But when he grinned at me, I realized he was something even more fearsome. His teeth were jagged fangs and his eyes- well he didn't seem to have them. Fire licked his blonde eyebrows like his eye sockets were portals to hell. Long ears poked out of his hair, pointed elegant ears.

The nerdy side of me was thinking this was the lovechild of Thor and Legolas.

"Well the new Captain anyway," he said in a bored tone, licking a bloodied talon finger. "The old one's dead now." He said nonchalantly.

I just stared, too scared to even move.

"The name's Darius," he said, extended his non-bloody hand. I stared at his taloned fingers. He raised a brow before pulling his hand back. "Oh right. I should explain first. Hmm... how do I explain.." he ran his finger over his full lips. "You do realize that they ain't sending you home, right?" he said finally, his firey eyes seeming to look at me, although I wasn't sure.

I just shook my head dumbly.

"They're sendin' ya to the Wolves, that's what they call it. Know what the Wolves do? They basically dissect ya like a frog. I should know. I've been cut up and put back together so many times I lost count." He said. "But it happens to everyone, ya hear. That one hundred year sentence? They like to make you think you're off scotch free after that. But nah, they chop you up."

What? I was too numb to even know what to think. "Wh-wha?"

He exhaled. "Riley didn't show ya the tanks? He told me he did."

"Riley?" I echoed.

"Riley." He repeated. "He's been assigned to watch over you for about... ten years now."

What? Who was.... Then my eyes widened. "The... bad shadow man?" I blurted.

He laughed heartily although I didn't think it was really that funny. "That's not very nice considering he spent most of his life protectin' you. But you could call him that. He's a familiar, something that protects their charge at all costs. But I'll explain that all to you as soon as we get off the train." He said, looking at his watch.

"Wait- but if he was trying to protect me why did he- why did he get me in so much trouble?" I finally found my voice.

Darius shook his head. "Did you not hear a word I said, lad? That place is bad news. He was trying to get you kicked out for your salvation. Now let's get out of here. We've got three minutes." He said, getting to his feet.