Chapter Nine: Trouble in Gainesville

After Brittany and Toby slept peacefully knowing their secret was safe between the two of them, they were more than alarmed to wake up to Trevor and Isabel standing at the edge of the bed.

Brittany thought she was seeing things. Was she going crazy? Why would Trevor be standing in her dorm room? Wasn't it just twelve hours ago that they were discussing his possible visit? How had he taken action so quickly? In her opinion - a little too quickly. Had he been planning to see her before their conversation?

The horrified expressions on all four of their faces made the silent void feel noisy, and when the silence started to become louder, Brittany knew she had to speak up and explain herself.

"I know this looks really bad," she started, jumping out of bed. She glanced at the time displayed on her alarm clock. Eight-thirty. Why was Trevor visiting so early in the morning? It was as if he knew he was going to walk into Toby sleeping in her bed. "But let us explain."

Isabel spoke before Trevor could even comprehend the sight in front of him. "Explain what? It's obvious you guys fucked last night."

Toby's cheeks flushed red as he was quick to jump into the conversation and defend himself. "What?" He barked. "That didn't happen."

The room was getting hotter and hotter for Brittany, making her feel like she was going to pass out. Of course this was happening to her! Her life seemed to be a never-ending cycle of drama. She was quick to fix her messy hair, fearing that her cousin would make another inference that she and Toby were intimate the night before. "Isabel, shut the fuck up. You're making this worse."

She laughed, finding the situation to be quite funny. First, the surprise visit from Trevor... now the surprise sight of Brittany and Toby in bed together? What were the odds? "I'm not. I'm just using context clues to figure this out."

Trevor finally started to process the horrid sight in front of him, he spoke. "Explain why you were in bed with him, then?"

He was desperate for answers and wouldn't stop until he found them. And for the first time, he felt superior to Brittany. He knew he was in the right and had absolutely no fear standing up to her.

All he was trying to do was be a good boyfriend and surprise his girlfriend at school. Instead, she ended doing the surprising. He couldn't believe he witnessed a living nightmare in her bed. He wasn't sure what she was thinking and how she thought she could get away with this. How could she do this to him?

"Toby got into a fight with his roommate last night and didn't want to stay at his place," Brittany told the truth, hoping that would save her from a heated argument with Trevor. She knew how combative he was - just like her. "I was hesitant about him staying here but I felt bad. Nothing happened, anyway. Please believe me."

Trevor scoffed, rolling his eyes at her lousy explanation. "I understand the reason he's here, but I'm failing to understand why he was in your bed, Brittany."

"How about you sleep on the hard floor, Trevor? Get back to me about how that feels," Toby was quick to snap.

Trevor was alarmed at the words that just came from Toby's mouth. He was always so calm and determined to stay far away from the drama. Why was he trying to start an argument? But he didn't have time to fight with him. He just wanted to talk to his girlfriend. "Why couldn't you have slept on the floor then, Brittany ?"

"That's my bed!" She exclaimed, now getting defensive. "And I didn't want my back to hurt. I have cheer practice."

Trevor laughed, shaking his head in disbelief. He thought she just sounded stupid and he saw right through her excuses. "Okay... I'd rather your back hurt from sleeping on the floor than being railed by your ex-boyfriend... but whatever."