Chapter Thirty-Four: The Announcement

On a mid-July evening, Toby's close friends and family were gathered at his home. The guests were clothed in formal attire - the women were wearing long dresses and the men were wearing button shirts and pants. Expensive wine and champagne were being served over gourmet Spanish food. Cassie was practically screeching in excitement as she dumped a spoonful of Arroz Amarillo on her plate, topping it with garlic shrimp.

Brittany took a sip of her red wine as she squinted her eyes, trying to conjure up a reason as to why Toby was randomly throwing a party. At first, she thought he was just gathering his close friends of West Coral to indulge in a nice dinner and expensive alcohol - but when she noticed his extended family was present, she started to grow suspicious. "What's this party for again?" She questioned her cousin before taking another sip of wine.

"Who knows? The cunt's probably pregnant," Isabel shot as she pointed to Autumn, who walked down the steps of the patio. She held her low, silky cream colored dress above her ankles, which displayed her short heeled sandals. "I mean... look at her outfit. No one wears a loose dress to a formal party when they aren't pregnant," Isabel continued to prove her point in a snarky manner. They then watched Autumn snatch a flute of champagne from the cater-waiter before taking a swig. "Oh, never mind, then."

"I just think it's weird that no one knows the reason for this party," said Brittany as she shrugged her shoulders. Her family had hosted a lot of parties in her life, which told her that a party was never thrown without a reason.

Rule of thumb: you don't host a party when there's nothing to celebrate. So... what was Toby celebrating?

Autumn was on her second flute of champagne when a stampede of boys clothed in colored button down shirts and khakis pushed past her. She was quick to recall that they were Toby's hometown friends - and yet they walked past her as if she were invisible. As the girlfriend of one of their best friends, she at least expected them to greet her. Instead, she was left with no hello. No how are you doing. Absolutely nothing.

"Brittany!" They called out collectively as they waved, seemingly excited to see her. Autumn couldn't help but feel ignored by Toby's best friends, as she was deprived of a greeting when it should have been given to her, as well as feeling that it coincided with Brittany's presence. She wasn't surprised that they were more fixated on her - she was wearing a tight, flattering strapless baby pink dress with her hair in a slicked back low ponytail, pairing it with a pearl choker necklace and matching earrings. She looked gorgeous as usual and Autumn wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason she appeared invisible at her own party.

She contemplated following the group of boys and greeting Brittany... but she figured it would be best if she stayed behind. She didn't want to accidentally say something hurtful or feel intimidated and inferior, causing her to potentially ruin where she and Brittany left off last time. They were civil - and she knew for the sake of tonight, as well as her future, she needed to keep it that way.

"Hi guys," Brittany greeted the boys with a smile on her face and open arms. She was first to hug Jake, then Max, before realizing Jordan was a part of the crew. Her jaw dropped slightly, not expecting him to be there as she figured he'd spend the summer in Los Angeles. And thankfully, to Jordan's benefit, she was happy to see him. "Aw... hi Jordan," she greeted as they shared a slightly longer hug. She then met eyes with her ex-boyfriend. "And of course... my Trevor," she joked as the two of them laughed and pulled each other into an embrace. At this point, they were far over their breakup. "Izzy, look. The boys are here."

Isabel had her back turned to her cousin when she heard her name being called - but she was having trouble focusing as her eyes were fixed on Marco De León. He stood beside the pool conversing with his college friends. She was practically gawking at his outfit - a white dress shirt that was half unbuttoned, displaying his silver chain necklace and toned chest, and white trousers. He fixed the circled sunglasses that slid down the bridge of his nose as he ran a hand through his curled dark hair. She couldn't stop picturing his chain hitting her nose, his naked skin against hers, his hands on her breasts and her upper thigh... she tried to contain herself as she remembered that he was just a hookup. A hookup that happened ten times. That was all. And she knew that they'd never be anything more.