Prologue

And while things were currently in the calm after the storm, the friend group had no idea what life would be like after graduation.

Until the future became the present, for now, only time could tell the outcome.

ONE AND A HALF YEARS LATER.
THE PRESENT.

West Coral, Florida: the easiest place to call home. The small beach town famous for its wealth, houses, views, beaches, and the sense of community between the people that resided there.

It was truly the dream place to live.

And when the future became the present, it was a beautiful evening in early June. There was a pleasant breeze as the palm trees swayed back and forth. The tide was low as the waves peacefully hit the shore. Parents were out getting ice cream with their children after dinner, strolling around south Florida's coast. Teenagers drove down the avenue, music blasting through the speakers as their hands were out the window. Other teenagers ran towards the ocean with a surfboard in hand, ready to ride the waves.

Juliana Hartley played the part of a south Floridian teenager perfectly. With all four windows down in her car, those on the avenue could hear her blasting music. Her hair blew in different directions as she happily sang along with the music.

She pulled into Cypress, turning her car into her boyfriend's driveway. She practically skipped inside his house as she held a black shopping bag in hand.

Jake Flemming greeted her at the door as she held the bag up to his face. "It's here!" She squealed, throwing off her shoes before zooming to his bedroom. She undressed before slipping on the tight white dress. "This is it," she said, studying herself in the mirror. She then turned to look at Jake with a wide smile on her face. "This is the graduation dress of my dreams."

To Jake, all he saw was a simple white dress, but nonetheless was just as excited as she was. After all, it looked amazing on her. He couldn't stop staring. "I love it."

She turned to look at herself in the mirror for a second time. Even though she was very excited about the dress, she was also a slightly emotional. "I can't believe I graduate high school in less than twenty-four hours," she said in disbelief, shaking her head.

"I know. I'm proud of you," her boyfriend complimented as he grabbed her by the waist. She giggled as he pulled her closer. "We're staying together, right?"

She looked into his hazel eyes, at a loss of words from his big question. It took her a moment to compile her thoughts before answering. "Yeah," she nodded, but she didn't sound one-hundred percent confident.

Jake didn't seem to notice the uncertainty in her voice as he pulled her even closer. "Good," he said before pressing his lips on hers.

In the next house over, the Rivera's were enjoying a seafood dinner on the deck. Brittany Rivera's phone was buzzing on the table, displaying an incoming call from her boyfriend, Trevor Mendez.

She didn't acknowledge the buzzing as she was more focused on Toby Crawford, who was working with the other landscapers to shave branches off the old tree in her backyard.

Toby swiped off the sweat dripping down his forehead as he noticed Brittany's gaze. He was quick to send her a friendly wave with a toothless smile on his face. She was quick to wave back.

"Brittany," said her mother, who sat across the table from her. She pointed to her daughter's phone, which hadn't stopped buzzing for the last two minutes. "Your phone."

Her cheeks flushed red out of embarrassment as she declined the incoming call from her boyfriend. "Oh, sorry."

Trevor stood in the kitchen during his work break, looking down at his phone with his jaw dropped. He was shocked that his girlfriend just declined his call.

He was quick to text his younger sister, his thumbs angrily hitting the keyboard. Are you with Brittany?

Cassie Mendez was on her daily evening run when she answered her brother. No. I'm on a run right now.

As her thumb pressed the blue arrow to send the text, she looked up to make sure she wasn't about to crash into any obstacles. That was when she saw the familiar blue house. She stopped in her tracks, studying the house for a moment. The FOR SALE sign in the front yard brought tears to her eyes. She quickly shook off her emotions and continued her run.

She stepped over the newspaper sitting on the sidewalk of the next house. The front headline read: ONE YEAR AGO TODAY MARKS THE BOATING ACCIDENT THAT INJURED 5 TEENS.

She ran by Mr. E's Boat Rental, owned by Jordan Evans's uncle. Max Caldwell held his phone to his ear as Giovanni Russo filled his boat with fuel.

"Jordan didn't answer," said Max with an annoyed tone.

Giovanni scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Are you surprised?" He questioned, turning to look at his best friend. "He's been M.I.A ever since he moved."

Luke sailed past the boat rental, jamming to Spanish music that was blaring from his speaker. Parker contently sat in the back, admiring the view.

"Nothing beats the state of Florida," he said without hesitation.

Luke chuckled, nodding his head in agreement. "I still can't believe you go to college in Georgia."

"Let's not talk about it," he chuckled before pointing to the cooler by Luke's feet. "Can you toss me a beer?"

"Sure," he agreed, bending down to grab the canned drink per his friend's request. He handed the drink to Parker with his left hand - the same hand that sported the red scar that was once bonded by twenty stitches.

Parker tried his best to ignore the scar as he accepted the drink. "Thanks," he said before holding the beer to the sky. "To Florida!"

"To Florida!" Luke exclaimed as they continued to sail down the canal.

When the future had become the present, and the entire friend group was now in college, change was inescapable. Different experiences, different friends, different lives... that would all be found at college. And even though they would forever call West Coral their home, they would soon consider their colleges their new home as well.

Trevor grabbed the newspaper that was sitting in the kitchen at work. One of the elder chefs had brought it in to read when the orders slowed. His eyes studied the large headline: ONE YEAR AGO TODAY MARKS THE BOATING ACCIDENT THAT INJURED 5 TEENS.

He held his breath as he tossed the newspaper in the trash.

And even though the future had become the present, that didn't mean the past was forgotten.