Chapter Thirty-Two: Ex

The restaurant was bustling with orders when Cassie heard the roar of Giovanni's motorcycle engine. She shot Trevor an 'oh no look who it is' glare from behind the bar. She hoped he didn't have plans to stir up trouble, as they were too busy that afternoon to worry about his behavior.

"Hola, baby Mendez," he said with a smile on his face as he approached the register. There was a fake smile on Cassie's face as she waved to him. He was clothed in a black muscle tee and black shorts. His left, muscular arm looked like he had a few more tattoos added from the last time she saw him. "We still miss you at the lifeguard stand," he said half-jokingly as the fake smile stayed on Cassie's face. She was waiting for him to order and get out of the restaurant already. "Anyway, could I have two chicken tacos? Hard shell."

"Sure," she said as she punched his order into the computer. He handed her a ten dollar bill before she could even tell him the price. It seemed like he ate at Fiesta De Taco more than she thought. She handed him his change as she spoke. "For here or to go?"

"To go... obviously, Mendez. Do you even know me?" He said before chuckling. The same fake smile appeared back on her face. What? How am I supposed to know all the weird things you're up to, Giovanni? "I have places to be on my bike."

She nodded. Of course he did. Those places probably included Max's house and the street they always raced their bikes on. "Cool. Well, you can wait here. It should be ready soon."

"Speaking of the lifeguard stand," he continued with his point from earlier, startling Cassie. She was stupid to think that he'd wait in silence... like all the other customers did. "That reminds me. Jordan is back in town," he told her as she froze in place, arguing back and forth with herself whether she should believe him. "He fueled up my boat the other day. I figured he'd be back for the summer."

He seemed pretty convincible... but Cassie knew he was always full of lies. "Oh," was all she said. Thankfully, Crystal brought out his order just in time so she didn't have to think about saying anything else.

"Thanks," he said as he accepted the paper bag with his food inside. "See you soon, Mendez family."

Cassie furrowed her eyebrows as she watched Giovanni exit the restaurant. Surprisingly, he wasn't being that weird today, which made her think he wasn't spewing out lies as always. He was just informing her that he saw Jordan in town like any normal person would. That was all. So, was he telling the truth?

She guessed there was only one way to find out.

Cassie jolted up to her alarm that morning. 9:30 read the digital clock on her nightstand. Usually, she'd sleep in much later, but today she had plans. An investigation, more specifically - or an 'is my ex-boyfriend actually back in town' adventure.

She was quick to change into her favorite black workout set, pull her hair into a high pony, and put on her gold hoop earrings. She then put on a little makeup - concealer under the eyes, blush, and mascara, as well as applying a coat of shiny gloss to her plump lips.

She scurried downstairs, praying that none of her family members had settled in the kitchen to eat breakfast. However, as she entered the kitchen, her eyes met her parents and Trevor, who sat at the table over a plate of bagels and hot coffee.

"Where are you going?" Questioned her mother with an eyebrow raised once catching a glimpse of her youngest daughter. Her father and Trevor seemed to pay no attention to her as they conversed about the basketball game from the night before.