Chapter Four: Pink Flowers

The Rivera family was notorious around the small beach town of West Coral for throwing the best parties - and that included the country club's fundraiser, of course. Brittany's graduation party was just another one to add to the list.

Gourmet food was on the menu for that afternoon as the personal chef was also taking orders from the kitchen. Pink hydrangeas decorated the large backyard, which perfectly complemented the month of June, the palm trees, and the view of the canal. Everything looked perfect, but not in the eyes of Madison, who was yelling at the florist for ordering the wrong flowers.

Brittany stood by the gated entrance in her backyard, trying to block out the shrieking demands of her mother. She continued to greet guests as if her mother wasn't insulting the florist behind her.

Her eyes landed on the fluffy brown haired boy who was walking in her direction. A smile formed on her face as she spoke. "Hi, Toby," she said before laughing. "You're only forty-five minutes late."

He chuckled, playfully rolling his eyes at her comment. "Everyone else was just early," he said as she laughed again. "So what's up, college girl?" He asked before extending his arms out for her. They both shared a quick hug. "The party looks great, by the way," he told her, eyeing the light pink flowers on the table and patio. "The flowers match your dress."

"That's what I said," she laughed, looking down at her floral dress which was purchased at her favorite boutique in Miami. She then pointed to her mother, who was rearranging the flowers around the pool. "My mom is mad at the florist because apparently they ordered the wrong flowers."

Madison scoffed, hearing her daughter's comment as she began to walk towards her. "You would be upset too if you spent money on those." Her annoyed mood was quick to switch to happy when she saw Toby standing in front of her. "Toby, it's so great to see you."

"You too, Madison," he responded, making her smile. "I know you don't like the flowers but I think they look great. That's what counts, right?"

Madison smiled, putting a hand on his shoulder. She couldn't wait to tell Jen how sweet she raised her son when she arrived at the party later that evening. "You're so cute," she said as Toby chuckled. "Your future wife is going to be lucky to have your positivity when it comes to wedding planning."

Brittany's cheeks flushed red as she was quick to speak over Toby, who was responding to her mother's unnecessary comment. "Enough about Toby," she sneered, shooting a glance towards her mother. "It's my party, remember? Let's focus on me. Not Toby's... wedding."

Madison laughed. "Focus on you? Good idea. You both can do that by grabbing the dessert from inside."

"Fine," Brittany complied, making her way inside her house. Toby was quick to follow behind her. Once entering the kitchen, she reached for the gluten free cupcakes. They were each decorated with a pink flower made of icing, matching her dress and the theme of the party. "Aren't they cute?"

He nodded his head, his eyes on the cupcakes. "Yeah," he said before his eyes traveled towards her. "But not as cute as you."

Brittany fell silent, trying to make sense of what he just said. They were supposed to be best friends. Correction. Ex-boyfriend and girlfriend who used to be best friends. They had been attempting to mend their friendship for the past year, but both of them truly didn't know what to call their relationship.

She turned to look into his brown eyes once his words digested with her. "Stop," was all she said.

"Why?" He leaned towards her, this time his eyes were focused on her lips. She tried her hardest not to focus on his lips as well. "You like it," he instigated. "And you like me."