Chapter Twelve: Rain Rain Go Away

It wasn't until college when Brittany started noticed a trend in her life: people were jealous of her.

She thought that in the most humble, realistic way - because it was the truth. She had always known it, but it started to become a bigger issue at college, and it was affecting her relationships.

She blamed it on surrounding herself with insecure friends, which seemed to be half of the cheerleading team and the girls living in her dorm. She couldn't escape it, and she knew she didn't have these issues with her friends at home. Cassie never compared herself, and they were on the same page as practically everything. It was quite the culture shock, to say the least.

And as much as she appreciated having friends around to do things with - like go to lunch or the gym with - it felt insincere, in a way. She felt like she couldn't be herself around anyone, because she was constantly put down for it.

She started to notice this issue when she put the puzzle pieces together. It all started with Brad from one of the top frats. That night, instead of talking to her friend that apparently liked him, he was talking to her. Her friend made her feel like shit for existing, saying she was surprised Brad wanted to talk to her because her "outfit wasn't even cute that night."

Then she started to notice the little things from her friends: she was constantly being one-upped, never complimented (even though her friends fished for compliments), been put down for being confident, and constantly feeling like the bully while they played the victim card. It made her feel like she was at constant battle with herself.

At first, she thought she may have been the issue, because why would so many people have problems with her? Was she too mean, too honest, too confident, or too direct? She hated that she wasn't making many friends at school as opposed to her mother, and she feared that after she graduated, she would have no one.

But now it made sense. She wasn't the issue - it was the people she involved herself with. And she was right.

Brittany Rivera was powerful. Everyone knew that. She was noticeably beautiful with bright blue eyes, a small nose, and a straight-teethed dimpled smile - including a skinny figure and clear, tan skin. If looks could kill, she'd be a murderer.

And even though her beauty was the main reason why those were jealous of her, it was her personality that also took the prize. She knew her power, and she also knew she could get anything she wanted. She was confident, flirtatious, brave, and feisty. She was able to captivate a room when she walked in, and she was able to get people to fear her.

That was what her friends hated. Her power, because knew full well they didn't have any. They disliked the idea of someone being better and stronger than them, as it triggered a lot of their insecurities, and they projected those feelings onto Brittany.

At school, the only person Brittany felt like she had was her cousin, Isabel - but she was hardly in the picture. Her cousin rarely spent a night in her own bed, as she was always out hooking up with boys. And when she was in the picture, she was texting boys. Brittany couldn't win. She guessed she could consider Toby another person there for her at school, but he was always off doing fraternity things.

It was safe to say she felt lonely, and that the people she attended school with were nothing close to the people at home.

That was why she was thankful to get away from school for the night and spend some time elsewhere - and being in Miami with her boyfriend was the perfect place.

Plus, she owed it to Trevor to visit him after his very unsuccessful visit to Gainesville. She jokingly promised that this time she came alone, assuring there were no boys following her to Miami, and it would just be them for the night.