Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Tatiana

Everything seemed to happen all at once. Guards I hadn't even realized were trailing us suddenly materialized before her eyes, blocking the path of the man who approached. Keith had a hand clamped tightly around my upper arm, as if preparing to pull me back behind the line of danger.

But he wasn't a danger, she thought helplessly as Keith started to pull her away, his body language screaming a calmness preparing to either defend or attack.

"You're 10 minutes are up." He said to her, as if that was sufficient enough explanation to the sudden change in events.

"Wait." She protested, attempting to pull her arm back. "He's my friend." She said before turning back only to find two guards holding him back. "Ramsey!" She called out, walking quickly back.

She underestimated Keith's security.

"Tatiana!" Ramsey called back, struggling against the guards who dwarfed him in size.

She walked up to one of them, trying to tug him back, but failing miserably. "Let him go!" She exclaimed. When they still didn't budge, she turned desperately to Keith, imploring him with her eyes to call off his guards.

Keith stood there stoically, ignoring her, staring intensely at Ramsey.

"Keith, please." She pleaded. "I know him, he means us no harm."

"Do you?" Keith asked sharply, turning his intense gaze to her. "Know him, I mean."

Tatiana furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "Of course, I do. He's Ramsey Caldwell, son of the Duke of Sussex."

"And an enemy of Vincent Boucher's—and by extension, his nephew and your soon-to-be-husband." Keith interjected, talking in quick, hushed tones so that only she could hear him. "The Caldwells aren't an enemy I would particularly like to come to blows with today, especially when Zeke left you in my protection."

She shook her head. "I don't care." She said. "He once saved me when I was 15 years old. You cannot brand someone an enemy after everything they have done for you."

They stared each other down, neither willing to yield to the other.

"In the name of the royal house of Volkov," Tatiana murmured reluctantly—a last resort. "I demand that you release Ramsey Caldwell and leave him be." She didn't like to use her mother's last name, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

And Keith Allard cannot take the Volkov name lightly.

A few tense moments of silence, then, "Spencer, Daniels." Keith called out to the guards, murder in his eyes directed at her. It was obvious he didn't like, nor approve, what he was about to say. "Let him go."

The guards immediately stepped back and away, letting him go.

Thank you, she mouthed to Keith, though he ignored her and instead turned to his guards to say. "Keep an eye on him, stay alert."

She shook her head. There was no getting away with that.

Tatiana turned back to where he stood, a little ruffled maybe, but okay. At least he was unharmed. "Ramsey!" She exclaimed, running towards him, a swirl of emotions rising; a mix of happiness and sadness, but most of all, nostalgia.

"Tiana." He breathed out her nickname as she launched herself into his arms. She held onto him hard, as if her life depended on it.

"I missed you." She said quietly, so quietly he might've not heard, tears spilling over her face that was pressed tightly into his chest.