Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Zeke

When he got the call from Keith, he didn't know what to expect. He'd been avoiding Tatiana's calls because he couldn't think clearly when it came to her. It was cowardly, he knew, but his tasks needed his complete attention at all times, especially then.

Zeke knew that if she was in any real danger, or if something has happened to her, Keith would call. He trusted his brother—in all but blood and name—to do so. Which was why when the phone rang and his name flashed on the screen, he'd immediately answered.

His thoughts ran a mile a minute, not knowing what to expect. Had she been hurt? Was there another attack? Is she okay?

Never in a million years did he expect for Keith's loss for words. Zeke had demanded him what was going on until Keith had finally spit it out.

"She's here with another man."

Another man could've meant anything, but the way Keith said it told him what he didn't realize he was too scared to find out until then.

A current lover? He had to see it for himself.

He left his uncle and Vasily in the house, not bothering to give any explanation as to why he abruptly had to leave. They'd be fine on their own for a while; they'd spent the last couple of hours scouring the news and all the information they could get their hands on about the attending guests at the party and all the enemies of the families— whats another hour or two?

He'd quickly entered one of their rental cars and driven as quickly as he could to the address that Keith pinned to his GPS.

On foot, it would've taken him nearly an hour to arrive, but the car was fast. And as if the vehicle understood the storm of emotions weaving through him, it went faster as he pushed it to it's limits, like it had a mind of its own.

He arrived in record time. He slammed the car door closed and trudged the path silently, careful to not draw too much attention to himself with the other civilians milling around.

The sun had set a while back, aiding his mission of being in disguise. Most people were off the streets now, hoping to catch some dinner, but there was always the odd person walking up and down the lanes, trying to get to where they needed to be.

"Keith." Zeke called out to him once he saw him as he rounded the corner. Keith turned at the sound of his voice, nodding in acknowledgement.

"Where's..?" Zeke trailed off as Keith nodded his head in a different direction, already knowing what he was going to ask.

He had braced himself, but there was no way for him to prepare himself on how the couple looked opposite each other. The look on the man's face was one of calmness, a polite and pleasant look and yet it did little to shadow his adoring and loving gaze directed at Zeke's fiancé.

Zeke leaned his body against the wall behind him, a powerful feeling of rage surging up within him. He hid his clenched fist to the side. "Who is he?" He asked, speaking in slow words so as not to let the anger leak through his voice.

"Ramsey Caldwell." Keith said in disdain.

Zeke furrowed his brows. "Caldwell?" The name sounded familiar.

"Your Uncle Vincent has had a few tussles with him in the past. We shouldn't be mixing in with their lot."

The memory rose to the surface in the back of his mind. "I remember now. And what is a Caldwell doing on your territory?" Zeke asked in a soft murmur.

Keith glanced at him cautiously. "The princess wanted to speak to him alone. I was against the idea, but she was insistent and used her mother's name." He ran his hand through his hair in stress. "Though the name Volkov does not hold the same power over the French as opposed to the Russians, I thought it wise to follow regardless. You're marrying into the name, after all." He added. "That didn't leave me much choice so I had them moved to the café where I can keep an eye on them."