Chapter 2

Dedicated to @theshortbookofangirl for being one of my first readers and being an avid commenter of the story so far! Thank you for your support<3

Chapter 2

Zeke

"Place those tables there," their party planner, Christie Gold instructed her team of helpers while gesturing to the end of the hall. "We should have them as two concaves facing inside from the walls don't you think?" she asked, looking up at him.

He didn't know why she bothered asking when father gave her free reign on almost all of their parties. Of course, they could always change something they didn't like, but that rarely happened and really, he was only there because there was a family meeting that his step-mother, Gina Federov, excluded him from. Now, he was here watching the preparations for tonight's event, with Bianca Ferruchi standing next to him, keeping him company.

Nonetheless, he nodded at her. "Yes, the layout looks good as always," he complimented, bowing slightly to appease her from his mindless reply.

Christie smiled at him in understanding. She's been their party planner for years and, for all intents and purposes, she has grown to be a friend. She knew about his history and she probably knew that he was kicked out of the family meeting with Gina.

"Christie!" Alex, one of the people she brought to help, called to her from across the room. "How should we set these up?" he asked, gesturing to the lights next to him that needed to be set up for the performances later.

"Hang those next to the balcony and prop those up on the other side," she said as she walked closer towards the makeshift stage, leaving him with Bianca. He almost forgot that he was supposed to perform later as well.

As he watched the preparations take place, he and Bianca sat by the bar. He thought of the piece he was supposed to perform for tonight at the party. Although his father was initially against it, his mother insisted that he learned music and she loved the piano. It was because of her that he learned. It felt like it was the only connection he really had to her since she lived so far away. He rarely saw her so whenever they were together, he would always perform for her and in the past few years, he has been playing his own compositions for her. But those compositions were just for her ears. Tonight, he was going to play Beethoven's Bagatelles Op. 126. It was a beautiful piece that his father chose.

While he mulled over his thoughts, Bianca ordered a mojito. She mostly kept silent and he was grateful, she was his closest friend, practically his sister and she could usually read him like the back of her hand.

As he was just about to order a drink, she spoke. "What's on your mind, Zeke?" she asked him quietly as she took a sip.

He paused. He ordered his drink first before turning to her. "I was thinking about the exchange tonight." Bianca was a close associate of his father's so she knew of tonight's main event.

"What is there to worry about?" she asked, confused. "Security tonight is tightened and your father even got more just to be safe. I doubt anything would go wrong."

"It's not that," Zeke said. "It's stupid, really." He shook his head, brushing it off.

Just as Bianca was about to protest, Francesco showed up wearing a classic grey suit with his hands in his pockets.

"Father is asking for you," he said without preamble. He glanced at Bianca briefly, something flashing in his eyes before looking away.

Zeke downed the drink he had just ordered, telling Bianca that he'll be right back, and followed his brother out of the room.