Chapter 7

The flowers came eight hours later. The lies followed soon after in the note accompanying it.

My Solemn Promise

I am as parched for your cunt

As the desert is panting from the sun

You pierce my heart

With the loss of your sweet fuck

You know where you belong, who you belong to

I will wait for you

Only for so long

Then I will come

And get you

Your lover, Sadiq

The language within was unexpected coming from someone like Sadiq, but as Cat tested the words out on her tongue, she could see he could make it work. With his husky and accented tones, the words would actually come across at hot and melodic even. But then there was not much that he couldn't make work. Sadiq oozed sensuality with every careless flicker of his thick, long, dark lashes and that was just the tip of the iceberg. Her mouth watered just thinking about him. With his solemn promise ringing fresh in her mind, it was all she could do not to turn tail and run back to him. He sure made it hard to do the right thing.

Cat perused the note again, and despite the crude sentiments, she felt her heart melt a little at the blatant lies within. There was no way Sadiq was feeling anything of what he'd written for her. He, unlike her, was experienced. A man of the world. What he had written were her feelings for him. Was he purposefully rubbing it in her face?

"Emily!"

Cat crumpled the note in her hand and stuffed it down her shirt then she turned around to face the approaching footsteps. Mary Little rounded the corner.

"Have you seen Emily, Cat?"

"Uh... no."

"Where has that girl gone? I have been looking for her for ages." Mary Little huffed impatiently. Then she turned meaningful eyes on Cat. "But you'll do; come with me, Cat. I need you to fetch the luggage out of the store."

Cat groaned, thinking of the layers of dust she would find herself shrouded in.

"Can't Lucy do it? It's for her trip," she whined pitifully.

But Mary only clucked her tongue in disapproval. "Is it not enough that she's going to be away from us for a whole month. In a foreign country."

"She's going to San Francisco, Mum, we've all seen enough of it on TV, it would be like a second home to her."

But apparently that was the wrong thing to say, for Mary turned away suddenly teary-eyed and Cat bit her lip, disgusted with her own tendencies to put her foot in it.

"I'm sorry, Mum. I didn't mean it like that. I'll go get her bags." Cat hurriedly offered, unwilling to see her mum crumple into a bout of tears. A situation more than likely to occur, especially of late.

"What did you do, Cat?" Emily chose to appear out of nowhere just then.

Why couldn't have she been there a moment earlier? Cat glared at her. "I didn't do anything," she insisted, suddenly annoyed to always be in the wrong over everything.

"You know Mum is sensitive about my going to see father," chipped in Lucy, also turning up out of nowhere. Cat turned to glare at her next. But her gaze had dropped to zoom in on the flowers that Cat still held in her hand.