Chapter 16

The ticking of the clock clanged loudly in her hypersensitive ear. If she could sweat beneath the pile of cosmetics she had on, she would be a molten lot of nerves about now. A quick repast was brought to her room as the hour continued to grow late. The festivities were already on at full swing. Marina stopped by to update her on the plan. It was to happen as agreed. She carried the contracts with her, all written in a language she didn't understand.

"You will need to sign this name on the papers," said Marina.

Cat peered over her shoulder at the name listed on a chit attached to the contract. Hasina Al Fayyad. That was not her name.

"That's not my name," protested Cat, not understanding.

"It will be, after you wed Sadiq."

"I don't understand," said Cat, confused. "My name is Catherine. Wouldn't it be Catherine Al Fayyad?"

"Catherine is a Christian name. You will be a Muslim, when you wed the prince."

"I am... I'm converting?" asked Cat, shocked.

"Yes, that is the way it's done."

Cat stared up at Marina, aghast. Just what else had Sadiq decided for her and thought she did not need to worry her pretty little head to know. "Where do I sign?"

Marina offered her the pen and shifted through the pages, pointing to several places, and Cat scribbled down the name that was not hers—Hasina Al Fayyad.

"What does it mean?" asked Cat, needing to know.

"It has several meanings, chaste, virtuous, beautiful, pretty," said Marina with a shrug.

"Did... did the prince choose it?" Cat silently berated herself for even wanting to know.

"Of course, that is the way." Marina gathered the documents and stepped outside to confer with someone who stood there waiting, then she was back.

"It is time."

Cat's heart shuddered to a slow thud. But she nodded her head and lifted the matching lace-edged veil across her face. It was time to get married. The divorce documents had been signed, even before the wedding happened. It was the security that should have made what she had to do so much easier, but it was with laden feet that she stepped out of her room and then the suite, and followed Marina's sedate pace towards the Great Hall where the ceremony would take place.

Cat followed Marina, feeling inconspicuous despite the lavish robes she had on her. The place was deserted. It was apparent that everyone who mattered was already convened in the Great Hall. Cat was not led to it directly, but instead taken up to a mezzanine level. It was not quite high enough to be called a separate floor, but it was high enough that it circled the room below while remaining quite apart. This level was shrouded from the open room below. A translucent barrier of fabric so sheer it was semitransparent ran alongside the railing, further separating the two floors. It was to separate the men from the women. So that behind this fixture of a veil, the women could move about freely in almost but not quite the same room as the men.

The place was already teeming with people. The lower level with men all similarly dressed to Sadiq, even though nowhere near as good looking as he. Cat's heart swelled with pride as her gaze caught sight of him behind the veil. Her own was lifted by Marina, affording the other women in the room a glimpse of the bride to be. It also afforded the men in the level below a somewhat obstructed view of her face. Sadiq had glanced up from where he had been bent in discussion with another man on her approach. Now he pinned his direct stare on her. His gaze blunt and bold as he clearly claimed her as his.