Chapter 11

They came in the morning.

It wasn't early. It was past eight and the world was up and about its work. Dressed in clothes suitable for attending a high-powered meeting, the prince's associates did nothing of the kind. They came in, armed. Pulling out guns and flaunting muscles. The Little household was only just stirring. Cat shuffled out from the kitchen, still half asleep, to see what the commotion was all about. Patrick Little was still in his PJs, paper in hand as he went to answer the door. He now stood there shocked into silence. Mary Little shrieked. Dropping her mug of piping hot coffee as she pushed away from the table and scampered to her feet. Cat tightened the ties of the robe about her waist and moved right into the fray of things, her fiery temper lighting the way.

"What is the meaning of this?"

But the thugs merely scoped the house before standing back for Sadiq to stride in.

"I think you know what it's about, Cat," murmured Sadiq, ignoring the shocked presence of her parents to come right up to her and press his lips to hers in a move that reeked more of possession than anything else. Cat shivered in his arms, unable to not respond to his allure even though she tried. His arms tightened about her before he deliberately released his hold and moved a pace back. They stared at each other. Sadiq pursed his sensuous lips into a pout, his gaze moving to consider her parent's fearful expressions. Then his eyes came back to hers. The message in them was clear. He was determined, if apologetic for what he was about to do.

"What... Sadiq?" Cat took an uncertain pace forward.

"Prince Sadiq demands custody of his unborn child," said what appeared to be a lawyer on the prince's behalf.

Sadiq gave the slightest nod and then his men swarmed them. Two came right at Cat and she found herself hoisted unceremoniously between them and hauled right out. A black cloth was tossed over her head and her head was pushed down as they loaded her into the car. Cat was at a loss for words. Speechless at his temerity. Astounded that he would go to such lengths. Even now, she could hear her mother's fearful shrieks. Cat knew she was not being harmed. Her head dived out at the other end of the black cloth and her hands found armholes. It was a kaftan. Glancing down to find herself clad in it scared her more than anything else. Her head shot up as the door beside her swung open to admit Sadiq's long, lanky frame as he slid into the seat beside her. The expensive click of the door shutting had all the finality of a prison cage closing in. Her heart thudded in a frantic need to escape. Cat swung her gaze back to her home even as the car shifted into gear and sped away. The last glimpse of her home showed her father stumbling out the front door unharmed as he stared after them in shock. Her mum sank to her feet in horror before she let loose a wail of despair that raised the hair on the nape of her neck.

Cat blinked away the tears that sped down her cheeks unchecked at the sight of her parents staring brokenly after her. It was all her doing. She was putting them through this. Putting them through yet another abduction of their children. This one done in their presence. Mocking them of their inability to stop it from happening at all.

It was some distance away, long after Cat lost sight of the house... the neighbourhood even, before she finally turned her tear-drenched face to face forwards. At Sadiq she refused to look at all. Self-recriminations were all that consumed her for the rest of the journey. But regret wielded a double-edged sword, paralysing her into inactivity as she sat there slumped into her seat, steadily blinking away the useless tears that refused to stop.

They made their way hurriedly across the city. Ironically, their entourage received the accompaniment of the police escort as they reached the city edge. No doubt called in to push them through peak traffic with minimal delay. Cat blinked back the last vestiges of hope at that sight. She turned her head to face Sadiq then, her gaze accusing, but Sadiq merely reached out a hand offering her a box of tissues. She accepted the box then turned to look back out at the city she had always taken for granted. Melbourne. Would she ever see it again?