Chapter 13

The Al Yamama Palace in Riyadh seemed to shrink in the distance.

Bent on continuing his efforts to distract her from her sorrow of all she had inevitably lost because of her infatuation with the wrong kind of man, Sadiq had his sister arrange an outing to the marketplace the next day. An honest to goodness, genuine Saudi Arabian bazaar. Even Cat in her secluded life with her nose buried in her books had heard of the many splendours of such a place. The drive to the bazaar took them through the great gates once more and on towards the city they had bypassed the day before.

"The Deerah Souk is the best place for a bargain. Not that you can hope to achieve any with my presence beside you," stated Lia apologetically. "Even in this getup, we would be recognised for what we are because of who will accompany us. But it cannot be avoided." She added with a helpless shrug. Clad in a black abaya, Lia glanced towards her indulgent husband who was garbed in a thawb. The white, flowy fabric resembled a sheet about his slender frame, and it was the one garb oddly enough that Cat had difficulty getting used to. It reminded her too much of her childhood and Halloween, specifically Emily's attempt to create something scary out of their mother's sheets.

Cat blinked her eyes that seemed bent on watering at every opportunity. She deliberately fixed a smile on her lips and stared out the window, wishing Sadiq was there with her. Clad in a black kaftan, her fingers toyed with the veil she would need to toss over her head as soon as they arrived in the city. Already, the need to do so was starting to irk. Cat couldn't imagine the rest of her life conforming to such archaic rules. Rules she didn't understand or believe in. She didn't believe in much of anything, but she was finally starting to believe in the existence of God. Who else would be so petty as to see her suffer so, merely for falling for the wrong kind of man? And all by a God who purports to love love?

She lifted her long fingers to brush against her damp lashes and turned to smile at Lia, thankful that the chatter she had begun over meeting up after breakfast hadn't trickled to nothing. Bubbly and full of life, she reminded her of Emily. A dark-haired amber-eyed version of Emily. Cat's eyes watered again. Her heart ached. Missing Emily like crazy was the one thing she'd never thought she would ever do. But then she never foresaw a reason to be ever separated from her twin. Not like this.

The Souk was a busy marketplace. Bustling with life and vibrancy, the marketplace bloomed outwards, drawing the eye with its exotic displays as the Cayenne rolled by at a snail's pace. Cat eagerly stared out, almost pressing her nose against the window as she peered outwards, determined to lose herself in the vibrant display of the market. Any and every distraction was embraced as a means of escaping her undecided future.

*****

"You cannot do this!" Sadiq declared, his mouth drawn into a thin line of disapproval and he began to pace restlessly up and down.

"I? You cannot do this!"

His father's dark gaze speared his own, daring him to do as he wished and challenge his authority. Sadiq's fists clenched tight.

"You were aware of the contract. You knew the consequence. The deal is a done thing."

Sadiq stared at his father. He had known of the contract. The contract his father entered into on his behalf without so much as his by your leave. He had known of it three months ago. The very hour he had left his suite at the Muse to venture out for the night. Intent in losing himself in a fight... or by embracing pleasure. As had happened when his eyes fell upon Catherine Little at that New Year's Eve party. A night that had ended with himself impaled so deeply within her sheath that he'd left a child behind.

"It matters not what you have entered into, father, I have not..." Whatever he had been about to say fell silent and Sadiq suddenly tensed. The jarring impact to the side of his face came not unexpected. His training kicked in and he held himself rigid, knowing that any movement to avoid the hit would only see him doubly punished. The king's heavy hand was not something that enamoured him to Sadiq. But it was something he had gotten used to from the very start. His father had no compunction dishing it out to a child, and a full-grown man proved no obstacle. Even if his own frame was smaller... weaker than Sadiq's own. A flash of fire lit Sadiq's gaze to an emerald green. A shade that any who encountered would do well to be wary of. But his father saw no sense in that. Not when he assumed... and assumed wrongly, that his son was putty in his hands.