Chapter 6

Clandestine meetings with the opposite sex had always been more of Emily's thing than Cat's, but she could see its appeal. It had been all of a week since she last feasted on the Prince and she was positively starving for more. Yet, he was no longer accessible, away abroad on meetings as it appeared was the norm for your average globetrotting billionaire.

Cat flicked out a pink tongue, moistening her parched lips as she glanced about interestedly in search of an alternative. If sex was all she was after, there really was no reason why she could not seek it from another. The prince was dangerous to tamper with. He had the means to whisk her away at a moment's notice and without so much as a by your leave.

No, her only recourse was to find another to satisfy her unreasonable carnal needs. Cat eyed the crowd of men about her with as much interest as a bull eyeing a chicken. None at all. There had to be something wrong with her to have her head so turned by just that one man. Especially when the world had so many to offer. So many more willing and accessible candidates. She watched her sister flit from one to another, doing what she did best—flirting—and had to sigh with exhaustion over the effort of it all. In a way, what she had with Sadiq was perfect. It overlooked the social norms and relegated them all to unnecessary.

"Looking for anyone in particular?" Lucy lifted a glass of raspberry cordial to her lips and grimaced at the taste. Cat winced along with her, shaking her head.

"No need to ask who you are looking for," returned Cat as she turned to eye the crowd for Jace, never far away when it came to her sister.

"Jace is not here tonight," said Lucy.

"Then why are you?" asked Cat.

"You have to ask?" Lucy lifted a brow pointedly. "After what you landed up doing over at that New Year's party?"

"That was a one-off, Lucy," lied Cat blatantly. "Do you have to keep rubbing that in my face. I am not about to pounce on some poor unsuspecting man and have my way with him." Not now that Lucy was there to keep an eye on her. Not that she had found anyone worth pouncing on to begin with. She eyed the guys around them before turning back to Lucy with a burning question. "Why am I not attracted to any one of them? That night I was all over... my one-night stand like a rash, but I have never felt that way with anyone else since."

"You always were a strange one Cat," said Lucy unhelpfully. "I have the opposite problem, I seemed to be attracted to two completely different guys."

"Jace and Richard," said Cat knowingly.

"Jace and Richard," agreed Lucy unhappily.

"But I thought that was sorted? You love Jace," pointed out Cat.

"Then why am I still attracted to Richard?" Lucy ran a restless hand through her shorn goldish tinted hair. Her amber eyes aglow with inner torment. Torment Cat felt herself, but only because of a man she should never have.

"I think we are cursed," suggested Cat finally, her practical nature offering up the only solution that made sense. "You, to be torn between two loves. Me, to be torn after the one I can never have again and Emily, to be so undecided over any at all. We are all clearly cursed."

"We are a mess," agreed Lucy, nodding her head dejectedly. "I don't know about a curse, but definitely a mess."

They both silently stared after Emily, the only one of the three who actually seemed to be enjoying the party.

"You, all ready for your trip?" enquired Cat, finally, tearing her eyes away to stare back at Lucy.

Lucy shrugged. "As ready as I'll ever be, I guess."