12. First fights

MILES

"I'm starting to think that you don't have a job and you got fired." Megan said, walking around her flower shop with me hovering at a close distance.

These days, it had been too difficult to stray away from her and I didn't resist this new feeling that overtook me in all aspects. In fact, I found myself enjoying her company and quirky talks. It had been years since I had smiled and laughed as genuinely as I did with her.

Eventually, I became a little selfish. Instead of staying away from another girl who would surely be my next doom, I was starting to move closer to her. Like a moth drawn to a flame. It was only time that I would burn my wings and ultimately die a miserable death. But I told myself that it was worth it as long as she kept smiling her gorgeous smile of hers at me.

"I'm sensing your silence as yes." Her lips tipped upwards. "Tell me, Jackson. What did you do to get yourself fired in your own kitchen?"

There was a teasing glint in her voice and jump in her every step. I could only hope that it was because of me. That she felt the same exciting nerve pounding in her just like how I felt when I saw her.

I could tell that she was only keeping me entertained, scared that I would walk away if I was to be bored with her. Little did she know that it would take more than me watching her work to shoo me away. She was a people pleaser and I loved that she was doing her best to please me.

I wanted to reach out and tuck her hair behind her ears as she worked on a new designed bouquet, but I held myself back. This time, I wanted to take things slow. More for my sake rather than hers. With me standing on her doorstep waiting for her command, I didn't remember the last time I was this fascinated by another woman.

I put my hands in my pocket and tried to take a few deep breaths before I ruined what I had in my hands.

"Well, that gives me chance to come here." I shrugged. She lifted her head from her work to look at me and instantly, I knew that wasn't the answer she was looking for. "To the fresh flowers, of course."

She relaxed at that and I had to pinch my lips from smiling. It was appalling to know that I could read her like an open book yet be an illiterate at the same time.

The initial mission that had brought us together had been complete and suddenly, I had started to hate myself for ticking off the shopping spree off my list too soon. That was the only reason that kept me walking this shop every other day. Now that it was done, I held no other reason to see her apart from the fact that I needed to.

How pathetic would that be if I had to say that out loud to her? She would run for the hills if she knew the things that ran in my mind whenever she was around.

But Megan didn't seem to mind me walking around her as I made small talk, distracting her from her usual routine. And I loved the fact that she had tweaked her regular tasks to accommodate me.

"So, what do you think?" She asked, holding her bouquet to me for inspection. Her pale hands contrasted the colorful flowers that she held for me. "Do you think the roses are too much? I mean I used wilted ones for experimenting. They will be much prettier when I use fresh buds."

"Megan." I walked closer to her. "They are beautiful."

Our eyes briefly met and before I could do as stupid as pull her in for a kiss, I gave more space between us. She looked as flustered as me, but much to my relief, she tucked that blond strand behind her ears and smiled.

"Thanks. They are, aren't they?" She tried to ease the visible tension between us, holding that one bouquet close to her, as if it was going to help her.